No Fn' way did this Jeep need rear brakes! IMHO

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
I have a buddy with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, with @ 65,000 miles. Said he heard some brake squealing as if the audible sensors were rubbing against the rotors. Jeep dealership said he needed front and rear brakes as well as 4 rotors. Here is a pic of the rear rotor (alongside a new one), and a pic of one of the rear brake pads.

I asked my buddy after seeing the pics did he hear major metal grinding at all, and he said absolutely not. Then after he picked up the vehicle he called me while driving back from the dealership. I asked him if he felt a significant difference in brake pedal feel with that much brake pad worn/broken off of the old one depicted in the picture. He said no, it does not feel dramatically different.

In my opinion, the Jeep dealer/tech sent him pictures of someone else's brake parts and said they were his. What say you shadetree mechanics?!?

Attachments

• 123_1(1).jpg
    123_1(1).jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 55
  • thumbnail_123_1.jpg
    thumbnail_123_1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 53
May not feel that much difference but sure as hell should have been quieter.
As a certified master tech, I have seen much worse and the driver didn’t know anything was wrong….or wouldn’t admit to it.

Thanks for the input. With the wear in the picture, wouldn't he have heard metal on metal grinding?

I agree on the caliper and actually told him the same. But the picture above is the tech showing the new pad with the old pad.

Thanks for the input. With the wear in the picture, wouldn't he have heard metal on metal grinding?

I agree on the caliper and actually told him the same. But the picture above is the tech showing the new pad with the old pad.

How loud is the exhaust and radio? I've driven older cars with pads almost that bad. You could hear and feel them when braking.

I own a 14 JGC and I cant hear **** inside. These things are beast. Mines the hemi but no modification to muffler. I wouldnt say they lied.

I agree with you.
Hard to tell without seeing other parts too.
A lot of times , pad wear is indicative of problems and can help in diagnosis of such. (Like one pad worn more than the other, etc.) :)

Also I may add that rear brakes are much harder to “feel” or “hear” than fronts, when there is a problem or they are worn.

I'll say this, if that's a picture of his old rotor that came off beside a new one and an old pad next to a new one then he absolutely needed rotors, pads and most likely calipers too.

Back
Top Bottom