• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Norinco 1911 mods

va87

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
86   1
Reaction score
I have a Norinco 1911 that is just a stupid awesome gun! I am thinking about night sights for it, and a possible Cerakote job in FDE. Do you folks have any recommendations for night sights, who should install them, and who should do the Cerakote job? Also, any ideas about the cost of these mods. I am in Fayetteville.
Any and all comments/opinions/insights from this fine group of gun nuts would be deeply appreciated.

Have a great weekend!!
Joe

How much do you want to spend......

Seriously, you can try to obtain sights for the mill cut or post/staked front (thick and thin) or you may have the slide milled. A milling job can run you close to $200 +/- front and rear. I'm not sure of what cut style is used on your pistol and that would limit options or require milling work.

Moss pawn employs Ray, a well recommended Gun Smith on the South West side of town not too far from you. You may want to take it to Ray and see what he says.

I'm not sure what the going rate for a CeraKote job is but it is on the lower cost end of a finishing job.

How much do you want to spend......

Seriously, you can try to obtain sights for the mill cut or post/staked front (thick and thin) or you may have the slide milled. A milling job can run you close to $200 +/- front and rear. I'm not sure of what cut style is used on your pistol and that would limit options or require milling work.

Moss pawn employs Ray, a well recommended Gun Smith on the South West side of town not too far from you. You may want to take it to Ray and see what he says.

I'm not sure what the going rate for a CeraKote job is but it is on the lower cost end of a finishing job.

I've been looking at different night sights......thinking about these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIJICON-CA...512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58acd8adf8

I don't really want to alter my pistol much at all, so whatever would work that requires the least modification to the slide is what I would prefer.
I am familiar with Moss Pawn, and I know where they are......I may go talk to them.

I also understand that many gunsmiths are reluctant to work on Norinco 1911s because of the hardness of the material they are made of. Any thoughts on that?

I have found a place to send my gun to in Ohio that will take my fully assembled gun, completely disassemble it, clean/degrease/prep, and apply and cure a Cerakote finish for $125. I will have to pay shipping to send the gun to them, but that still seems to be a pretty good deal. I'd prefer local, so I'm hoping to discover someone locally who can do the job for a near comparable price

Thanks for your input RamRoddoc

Yes, Norinco's are HARD!...They tend to damage mill equipment. Most gunsmiths will require that you buy the end mill bits used(not cheap)...They make great hop up hosts, but can get expensive on any machining...

va87,

I would not buy sights until either an accurate measurement of the front post slide hole and the rear dovetail slide cut was obtained or a Smith looked at it. Ray would measure this and steer you toward sights that will fit or could be easily fitted for your pistol. Once accomplished then check the usual suspects Midway, Brownells etc. Brownell's gives military and LEO discounts that you have to ask for so if your a vet it might be cheaper hitting them up.

IMO CeraKote (Ceramic based paint) is stupid easy to do. However, someone without any experience doing prepping work and applying paint to a surface will have a learning curve. Once painted it's baked (cured) for a bit then creates a bond with the metal that is pretty darn tough. You can change the finish texture by adding more or less hardener.

A pistol takes little CeraKote as it is a thin media to apply. I would be pressed hard to pay over a $100 and shipping anywhere will add a cost that I think is prohibitive. Ray may be doing CeraKote or farming it out to a competent scribe. I would trust his judgment as his reputation deserves it.

I've been looking at different night sights......thinking about these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIJICON-CA...512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58acd8adf8

I don't really want to alter my pistol much at all, so whatever would work that requires the least modification to the slide is what I would prefer.
I am familiar with Moss Pawn, and I know where they are......I may go talk to them.

I also understand that many gunsmiths are reluctant to work on Norinco 1911s because of the hardness of the material they are made of. Any thoughts on that?

I have found a place to send my gun to in Ohio that will take my fully assembled gun, completely disassemble it, clean/degrease/prep, and apply and cure a Cerakote finish for $125. I will have to pay shipping to send the gun to them, but that still seems to be a pretty good deal. I'd prefer local, so I'm hoping to discover someone locally who can do the job for a near comparable price

Thanks for your input RamRoddoc

I'm pretty sure Dobbs Defense in Dallas can really compete with that Cerakote price.

You have received some really good advice from the fella's above.

An interesting thing happens when a shooter uses those little factory GI sights; they focus more on the sights and hold the gun steadier. They work pretty well for slow target shooting.

One thing to consider about night sights is weather or not you really need them. Unless you are a law enforcement officer or like to shoot at night for whatever reason. The idea that you would actually use them for self defense seems unlikely to me. I can see using them offensively as an Officer or a hunter, but it is hard for me to imagine a justifiable shot in self defense that is farther than ten yards while in the dark. I don't even use the sights for a upper body sized target at less than ten yards, and it is not hard to hit the target in the center.

I would look at a good set of sights that you like looking through and won't break the bank. I use fiber optic front sights with adjustable rear sights on my range toys, and stock or fixed Novak or Hienie type sights on my carry guns.

As Ramroddoc stated the dove tailed front sight will cost some money. And, a Norinco could easily become a money pit because they are still a Norinco after all the mods. They are great guns for the money. I would like to own one myself as a keep sake. If I did have one and wanted to modify it, I would start on the inside and have a trigger job done, light weight trigger installed, and a tighter front barrel bushing installed. But, I would likely just shoot it as it came from the factory.

The Springfield Range Officer, and the Ruger 1911 seem to be pretty good values to me andthey come pretty close to how most shooters want a 1911 configured.

Just food for thought, good luck and good shooting.

You have received some really good advice from the fella's above.

An interesting thing happens when a shooter uses those little factory GI sights; they focus more on the sights and hold the gun steadier. They work pretty well for slow target shooting.

One thing to consider about night sights is weather or not you really need them. Unless you are a law enforcement officer or like to shoot at night for whatever reason. The idea that you would actually use them for self defense seems unlikely to me. I can see using them offensively as an Officer or a hunter, but it is hard for me to imagine a justifiable shot in self defense that is farther than ten yards while in the dark. I don't even use the sights for a upper body sized target at less than ten yards, and it is not hard to hit the target in the center.

I would look at a good set of sights that you like looking through and won't break the bank. I use fiber optic front sights with adjustable rear sights on my range toys, and stock or fixed Novak or Hienie type sights on my carry guns.

As Ramroddoc stated the dove tailed front sight will cost some money. And, a Norinco could easily become a money pit because they are still a Norinco after all the mods. They are great guns for the money. I would like to own one myself as a keep sake. If I did have one and wanted to modify it, I would start on the inside and have a trigger job done, light weight trigger installed, and a tighter front barrel bushing installed. But, I would likely just shoot it as it came from the factory.

The Springfield Range Officer, and the Ruger 1911 seem to be pretty good values to me andthey come pretty close to how most shooters want a 1911 configured.

Just food for thought, good luck and good shooting.

Thank you so much for those excellent words of wisdom and some serious food for thought.
I have a SIG P228 with Siglite sights.......really love that set-up, but as I consider your counsel, I begin to realize that it is likely the 3-dot picture I like......and not necessarily the "night sight" component so much. If you could please tell me a bit about the fiber optic front sight and how it could be a good alternative to night sights.

The Norinco is an incredible gun! I shoot it well, the trigger is VERY good for me (the reset is just unreal for a stock gun) I am actually very reluctant to do anything other than the sights and a FDE Cerakote job. I've owned Series 70 Colts, a SA GI 1911, a RIA full size.....the Norinco is, FOR ME, a superior 1911 to any and all of those. I cannot imagine the scenario by which I would ever get rid of it! It REALLY IS all that!

Thanks to ALL of my fine fellow ODTer's who have shared their valuable insights and opinions with me in this thread. It is MUCH appreciated, and I hope to have more in the days to come!!

If there is any light at all, the fibor optic front sight will show up better than a plain front sight. In normal daylight the fibor optic will stand out like a night sight stands out in the dark.

I am always glad to see it when someone gets some good out of my opinion. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom