• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Norinco SKS stock experiment

Gingerbeard Man

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Would you look at that. He does 💩 in the woods.
445   1
Reaction score
Picked up an SKS from another member not too long ago. Came in a plastic stock but he included a wood stock. As it is not a matching rifle (so the purists don't get mad) I figured while it was out of the wood stock I'd experiment with aging the stock. A lot of learning along the way but I personally like the way it turned out. Sanded it down, torched the grain, sanded again, stained and put a gloss top coat on and knocked down the shine with a little 0000 steel wool.
IMG_20200411_163626.jpg

20200411_150539_HDR.jpg

When I met up with alleycat alleycat I let him know I was working on this. Thought I'd share.

Here's a better resolution photo of the picture above.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/t3XSzK3V2Fm36Cf9A

Picked up an SKS from another member not too long ago. Came in a plastic stock but he included a wood stock. As it is not a matching rifle (so the purists don't get mad) I figured while it was out of the wood stock I'd experiment with aging the stock. A lot of learning along the way but I personally like the way it turned out. Sanded it down, torched the grain, sanded again, stained and put a gloss top coat on and knocked down the shine with a little 0000 steel wool.
View attachment 2575285
View attachment 2575286
When I met up with alleycat alleycat I let him know I was working on this. Thought I'd share.

i really like that. Much better than plastic

I'm not sure what to think. But at least it's not still in a plastic stock. To me one of the worst looking things in this world is an SKS in a plastic tactical stock. I need a new or just a better wood stock for my Type 53 right now. But all I can find is aftermarket plastic stocks. I refuse to do that to this rifle. I'll keep it in the ratty cracked original before I go plastic.

I'm not sure what to think. But at least it's not still in a plastic stock. To me one of the worst looking things in this world is an SKS in a plastic tactical stock. I need a new or just a better wood stock for my Type 53 right now. But all I can find is aftermarket plastic stocks. I refuse to do that to this rifle. I'll keep it in the ratty cracked original before I go plastic.

Hey man, thanks for the input. I don't really like the plastic stuff either. Some would consider this an abomination too as it's not aged naturally but I figured not much was lost on a non-numbers matching rifle.

Yeah I don't mind the aftermarket stocks but I sure like the soul of these old firearms.

Can't figure out how to get the cross bolt in and the rifle seated so it's out for now.

Looks like a threaded barrel in a stock that came on one with a pinned barrel. The ones with pinned barrels have the lug slightly farther to the rear of the rifle. I have exactly the same situation.
Sometimes you can do a little sanding on the stock and a little filing on the recoil lug (cross bolt) to get them to fit. The one I have doesn't look like that gives enough room to make it fit.

Looks like a threaded barrel in a stock that came on one with a pinned barrel. The ones with pinned barrels have the lug slightly farther to the rear of the rifle. I have exactly the same situation.
Sometimes you can do a little sanding on the stock and a little filing on the recoil lug (cross bolt) to get them to fit. The one I have doesn't look like that gives enough room to make it fit.
You must be spot on. I could not for the life of me get it seated and now I know why. I may open the hole up a bit and grind the lug a little and see if I can sneak it in there.

Back
Top Bottom