• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
My duty weapon is a SIG P229 in .357SIG. Off -duty I carry either the SIG or a Beretta 92 Compact that’s been Wilson’ized. Nothing wrong with either handgun; they are accurate, reliable, and dependable. As long as I have to carry a DA/SA on duty, I’ll carry a DA/SA off-duty as well.

When I retire, I’ll have to qualify once a year to keep my retired creds and ability to carry like a Fed. Good thing is that I can carry any handgun that I want to. I’ll be going back to 1911’s, particularly a John Harrison-built STI Ranger II.

I paid approximately $1250 for the STI, then paid more than that to have the custom work and refinishing done. Some folks would say not to carry it, that I’ll either never get it back from police evidence, or that it will be rusty and ruined when I do. Why carry a $3000 1911 when I can carry a $400 Glock?

The thing is, I don’t shoot any handgun as well as I shoot a 1911. I shoot my SIG regularly, and nowadays I shoot my 1911’s rarely. I shoot my SIG very, very well. Even with that, today I still shoot my 1911’s better. When I shoot my 1911’s regularly......even better.

If I’m carrying a handgun for self defense, why would I not want to carry the handgun that I shoot the best? If I’m to be involved in a deadly force situation, wouldn’t I want every conceivable advantage that I could have? You’re dang right I would!

How much money would you pay to have an edge in a gunfight? For me, it would be every dime I have. If I’m involved in a deadly force situation, and I win, I don’t care about how much money I spent on the handgun that got me there.

I’m not knocking anyone that carries or Glocks.....or any other handgun, regardless of the cost. If your chosen EDC is a Glock 19, and it’s the handgun that you shoot the best........lucky you! Nothing wrong with that.

Carry what you wanna carry and don’t worry about how much it cost. How much is your life worth?

I just carry a pocket gun. I’m not expecting to fight the al queada. If 7 rounds of 9mm doesn’t get me out of a bad spot, I’m probably screwed no matter what. I don’t have stats to put up, but I guess the average-joe self defense situation isn’t more than a couple shots at fairly close range.

I just carry a pocket gun. I’m not expecting to fight the al queada. If 7 rounds of 9mm doesn’t get me out of a bad spot, I’m probably screwed no matter what. I don’t have stats to put up, but I guess the average-joe self defense situation isn’t more than a couple shots at fairly close range.

I wasn’t addressing topics like what size of gun to carry, or how many rounds you should have on hand, but I’ll be happy to tumble down that rabbit hole.

Fighting Al Qaeda on US soil is a definite possibility. Have we forgotten the December 2, 2015 terrorist incident in San Bernardino CA? A married couple of Pakistani descent, using 2 AR’s, 2 9mm handguns, and pipe bombs, killed 14 Americans and seriously injured 22 others.

If I were caught up in that situation with my family, I would want more than a pocket pistol to sort it out. I want something with some decent sight radius for better accuracy at distance, and a good supply of ammunition on tap.

Why distance? In December 2014, while holding the reins of two horses with one hand, Austin Police Sgt. Adam Johnson used his issued S&W M&P .40 in the other hand to drop an active shooter 312 feet away with a single shot to the chest. The perp was using an AK-type rifle.

Keep carrying a low-capacity pocket pistol, if that’s what makes you comfortable. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind, or selling any particular weapon system. You’re way ahead of folks that don’t carry at all.

I wasn’t addressing topics like what size of gun to carry, or how many rounds you should have on hand, but I’ll be happy to tumble down that rabbit hole.

Fighting Al Qaeda on US soil is a definite possibility. Have we forgotten the December 2, 2015 terrorist incident in San Bernardino CA? A married couple of Pakistani descent, using 2 AR’s, 2 9mm handguns, and pipe bombs, killed 14 Americans and seriously injured 22 others.

If I were caught up in that situation with my family, I would want more than a pocket pistol to sort it out. I want something with some decent sight radius for better accuracy at distance, and a good supply of ammunition on tap.

Why distance? In December 2014, while holding the reins of two horses with one hand, Austin Police Sgt. Adam Johnson used his issued S&W M&P .40 in the other hand to drop an active shooter 312 feet away with a single shot to the chest. The perp was using an AK-type rifle.

Keep carrying a low-capacity pocket pistol, if that’s what makes you comfortable. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind, or selling any particular weapon system. You’re way ahead of folks that don’t carry at all.
That’s all good for the officer, but our MED(minimum engagement distance) is a mere fraction of that before it’s no longer considered self defense.

That’s all good for the officer, but our MED(minimum engagement distance) is a mere fraction of that before it’s no longer considered self defense.

You are wrong with that. In the state of Georgia, LE officers and civilians are governed under the same laws in regards to the use of deadly force. Nowhere in any of the relevant statutes does it mention “law enforcement” or “civilians”, or attempt to make any difference between the two. LE does not have a 007 “license to kill”.

You can use deadly force to protect yourself, OR A THIRD PARTY, from death or serious bodily injury. That’s paraphrased, by the way. So, taking a shot at 100 yards to stop an active shooter would be justified deadly force under Georgia law, whether you’re LE or a civilian.

MED is a crock. What if the bad guy has a rifle with a scope? At what distance could he engage you at now? 100yds? 500yds? 1,000yds? More? Yep, all of those are possible.

I have had to learn that as well... once thought modifications like adding RDS etc were too expensive. Just had to decide that was foolish for me once my eyesight began to make it difficult to focus on the front sight. Get what platform works well for you, then do what you need to shoot exceptionally well and shoot it, carry it, don't leave home without it!

I would like to carry a 1911 or Beretta, and I believe I shoot them better than my Glocks, but at the same time I am not nearly as practiced with the features of those guns (safeties, DA first pull on Beretta) so I'm not as comfortable with them. Those guns will require more training and practice before I feel as confident from start to finish. Those are my concerns and why I don't carry what I feel I can shoot the best. If I want to carry those types of guns, I'm going to have to practice more with them. For now, the less manipulations of any type are best for me, and speaking of manipulations, capacity does have a little something to do with that. Less mag changes.

One of the main reasons I warmed up to .357 Sig is its capability to shoot 100 yards with minimal drop. (approx. 4" at 100) So naturally I like that caliber in a Glock, the gun I am most practiced with. I totally agree that a 100 yard shot is well within any reasonable self defense distance. Reasonable and justifiable SD can range much farther out than 100 yards, IMO.

For me price dictates nothing. I could have a $3000 gun if I wanted it bad enough, but it wouldn't be justified because I don't believe I would be any better protected. If I felt it would really give me an advantage, I would buy one in a minute. This has more to do with my skill set, though, and not the gun.

I would like to carry a 1911 or Beretta, and I believe I shoot them better than my Glocks, but at the same time I am not nearly as practiced with the features of those guns (safeties, DA first pull on Beretta) so I'm not as comfortable with them. Those guns will require more training and practice before I feel as confident from start to finish. Those are my concerns and why I don't carry what I feel I can shoot the best. If I want to carry those types of guns, I'm going to have to practice more with them. For now, the less manipulations of any type are best for me, and speaking of manipulations, capacity does have a little something to do with that. Less mag changes.

One of the main reasons I warmed up to .357 Sig is its capability to shoot 100 yards with minimal drop. (approx. 4" at 100) So naturally I like that caliber in a Glock, the gun I am most practiced with. I totally agree that a 100 yard shot is well within any reasonable self defense distance. Reasonable and justifiable SD can range much farther out than 100 yards, IMO.

For me price dictates nothing. I could have a $3000 gun if I wanted it bad enough, but it wouldn't be justified because I don't believe I would be any better protected. If I felt it would really give me an advantage, I would buy one in a minute. This has more to do with my skill set, though, and not the gun.

With my particular skill sets, I run a custom 1911 the best. I’ve always said, “It’s the skills that make the craftsman, not his tools.” I firmly believe that, buuuuuuut.........a true craftsman will do his best work with the tools he is most comfortable with.

With my particular skill sets, I run a custom 1911 the best. I’ve always said, “It’s the skills that make the craftsman, not his tools.” I firmly believe that, buuuuuuut.........a true craftsman will do his best work with the tools he is most comfortable with.

Being a true craftsman is the ultimate goal, or it should be, IMO. In my mind someone who is truly proficient in weapons craft can pick up most any type of weapon and shoot it well. I'm just not there, especially with handguns.

Being a true craftsman is the ultimate goal, or it should be, IMO. In my mind someone who is truly proficient in weapons craft can pick up most any type of weapon and shoot it well. I'm just not there, especially with handguns.

I haven’t found a handgun yet that I couldn’t shoot well......I just shoot some better than others!

Back
Top Bottom