• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Not so bottom of the barrel AR?

FWIW, I finally had issues with a PTAC upper this past weekend. After 7 years and thousands of rounds, I have been getting FTFs. Another rifle that I built using higher end parts (BCM, FN, etc.) around the same time and similar round count is still chugging right along. Maybe the lesson is that bargain bin stuff works decently for a couple of years, but then gremlins start popping up after several years of wear.
Failure to fire? Light primer strikes? May just need a new firing pin.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine

Use code "M3P" to get 10 bucks off + free shipping. Nice triggers.

Haven't tried it on hard primered 7n6 yet but I have high hopes!

vxzlkjaoprirrrrrr.jpgasdrr.jpg
I’ve actually been eyeing that trigger since I saw it on slickguns awhile back.

It’s interesting that it supposedly strikes harder the lighter you set the trigger pull weight on it.

Like Jeddak Jeddak I’ve been contemplating an AR chambered in 7.62x39 and if I actually ever do it, that’ll be the trigger I use.

I’ve actually been eyeing that trigger since I saw it on slickguns awhile back.

It’s interesting that it supposedly strikes harder the lighter you set the trigger pull weight on it.

Like Jeddak Jeddak I’ve been contemplating an AR chambered in 7.62x39 and if I actually ever do it, that’ll be the trigger I use.
For the price of a factory built 7.62x39, it seems you can ger a factory built 5.56 AR and a an upper in 7.62x39

And PTAC is PSA's bottom of the barrel product, yet you still got decent mileage out of it!
I think so... I'm not too broken up about the rifle malfunctioning after all this time. I have gotten lucky with PSA/PTAC stuff like in this instance, and I have also been screwed with stuff being out of spec, missing, etc.

Failure to fire? Light primer strikes? May just need a new firing pin.
Worse - it's not feeding correctly anymore.

This is what it's been doing to my ammo...
20180310_133539.jpg

I was thinking it was bad magazines, but nope. Feed ramps look okay.

I think so... I'm not too broken up about the rifle malfunctioning after all this time. I have gotten lucky with PSA/PTAC stuff like in this instance, and I have also been screwed with stuff being out of spec, missing, etc.

Worse - it's not feeding correctly anymore.

This is what it's been doing to my ammo...
View attachment 1550585
I was thinking it was bad magazines, but nope. Feed ramps look okay.
That's weird. Are rounds tipping nose-up or nose-down? Is the bolt trying to ride over top of the rounds when stripping them from the magazine? Will the bolt lock open after the last round on an empty mag? If not, you may have developed a short stroke condition. Could have developed a gas leak somewhere.

After all those rounds and with that symptom, there's probably not much wrong, as in broken, just need to figure out what got out of whack.

Back
Top Bottom