Now Firemen will have to be armed....

Wish firemen could carry legally in GA...

Is it against regulations while in uniform/on duty?

Mainly against departmental policy. We (firefighters) get confused with police a lot on scenes. We all wear black or blue uniforms. There are or could be a lot of problems with having a weapon on duty as a firefighter. Some places the cops and firefighters are cross trained. Meaning the cops work at as firemen for a period and the firefighters are mandated officers and work as police for a period and they swap duties. But as both a firefighter and a cop I would love the concept. You multiply your public service. But, with the calls we run at the fire department I am not sure if having a firearm visible would be a good idea.

Oh yeah Semper Fi and Merry Chriatmas.

Mainly against departmental policy. We (firefighters) get confused with police a lot on scenes. We all wear black or blue uniforms. There are or could be a lot of problems with having a weapon on duty as a firefighter. Some places the cops and firefighters are cross trained. Meaning the cops work at as firemen for a period and the firefighters are mandated officers and work as police for a period and they swap duties. But as both a firefighter and a cop I would love the concept. You multiply your public service. But, with the calls we run at the fire department I am not sure if having a firearm visible would be a good idea.

Conceal it.

Gentlemen, these young men were ambushed. Hasn't anyone here experienced an ambush before? I don't think a 9 on the side would have saved their lives. Truly another pitiful story. Let's not forget that his SISTER (who was probably helping take care of him with his mom) is still unaccounted for. Let's hope she escaped the madness.

Is it against regulations while in uniform/on duty?

The issue is the legality of it. Under current GA law, a government entity is housed at the fire station, making carry illegal. Policy is another issue, which varies with each department.

I noticed last year, when they were trying to pass the new gun bill, there was specific wording about local and county agencies. It stated that each government entity could determine the manner in which it's employees carry. I believe this was intended for law enforcement, but it's wording covered any government employee.

Just some food for thought.

Conceal it.

That's all good in concept, but not good in theory. Things tend to get hot in a fire. Not to mention we don't have time to shed a concealed firearm when putting on turnout gear.

As a volunteer firefighter, I always carry when going on scene cause you never know what your honestly walking in to. This is a horrible tragedy and I can't imagine what their fellow firefighters and family are going through. It's just sad to think that they thought they were going to save a life or home and this heartless person does this. I just do t get what this world has turned in to

Back
Top Bottom