• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NPC (Non Player Character)

cskiles

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
25   0
Reaction score
Just a thought for the day -

Over the past (6) months, I've been dealing with prostate cancer (and the exhaustive amount of tests, doc visits, etc.), diagnosed with 75% hearing loss in one ear and 50% in the other, a ridiculous amount of work to schedule and the employee drama that accompanies. I found myself getting less and less tolerant of other people... pissed at the doctor for making me wait on EVERYTHING, pissed at customers for unreasonable schedule requirements, and mostly just blaming everyone else for my inability to effectively get these issues resolved.

This being said, I came to a realization about a week ago...all of the people that I have been so pissed at (from the doctors to the people holding up traffic on the I-75 parking lot) are NOT NPC's. For those of you that aren't familiar with that phrase, it means NON PLAYER CHARACTER, i.e., in a video game an NPC is a character in the game that you have no control over, they are merely there to make the game more realistic for the player, just background.

I realized that my issues are only important to me and my family, everyone else has their own issues to deal with. I guess I need to start focusing less on my self and more on what I can do to help others deal with their 'stuff', even if it is just listening to them complain.

You are correct that they are people...But it's not unreasonable to expect professional efficient and friendly service.

The receptionist at any office should be professional and efficient if not kind and considerate. However, in all of modern corporate healthcare, the dollar is more important than the patient.

The one thing that a lot of healthcare facilities are focused on is the infamous "review" of their service. However, most bad reviews are followed by a "we're so sorry you felt this way..." response .

It may or may not be helpful just to mention to the doc that you feel like a number and not a human being.

Customers? Yes, they all, like we all do, feel that their problem is the summit of all human needs at the time. I dealt with 19 patients and their families yesterday, including one bona-fide life or death emergency. In 18 of those cases I needed to be kind, considerate, & professional (as well as competent). In that emergency all I had to do was be excellent at my job, but I still found time to be kind, considerate and professional. (the outcome was good).

Your needs are what you should focus on as a patient, but it's great of you to consider others. And greater kudos for thinking about what's going on with others around you.

God Bless

You are correct that they are people...But it's not unreasonable to expect professional efficient and friendly service.

The receptionist at any office should be professional and efficient if not kind and considerate. However, in all of modern corporate healthcare, the dollar is more important than the patient.

The one thing that a lot of healthcare facilities are focused on is the infamous "review" of their service. However, most bad reviews are followed by a "we're so sorry you felt this way..." response .

It may or may not be helpful just to mention to the doc that you feel like a number and not a human being.

Customers? Yes, they all, like we all do, feel that their problem is the summit of all human needs at the time. I dealt with 19 patients and their families yesterday, including one bona-fide life or death emergency. In 18 of those cases I needed to be kind, considerate, & professional (as well as competent). In that emergency all I had to do was be excellent at my job, but I still found time to be kind, considerate and professional. (the outcome was good).

Your needs are what you should focus on as a patient, but it's great of you to consider others. And greater kudos for thinking about what's going on with others around you.

God Bless
The medical system is a joke, I was told in February that I had moderately aggressive prostate cancer, sent through about two weeks of VERY invasive testing, and then scheduled for surgery in September...7 months later! I work out of state, all over the country, I explained that I would need a weeks notice for any appointment...I got called two weeks later and informed that my surgery would be postponed because I missed two appointments - they scheduled them though the hospital app...not notification, no phone call, etc. I had to throw a huge fit to get them to keep my surgery date. They have zero concern for the patient...just another number/copay...

I nearly died in Feb of 2019 waiting to get into a urologist (any urologist) in Macon/Augista/Atlanta. Only when I begged for mercy from a nurse in the office did I finally get a reasonable appt date. General surgeon who did the operation was fantastic. The urologist can go to hell.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this issue AND the "medical profession."

I nearly died in Feb of 2019 waiting to get into a urologist (any urologist) in Macon/Augista/Atlanta. Only when I begged for mercy from a nurse in the office did I finally get a reasonable appt date. General surgeon who did the operation was fantastic. The urologist can go to hell.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this issue AND the "medical profession."
Yeah it hasn't been pleasant, but it's just life. Surgery happened yesterday, glad it is over with...

Back
Top Bottom