Octane vs QMF2 vs Isis2 opinion?

vinhtvu2

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
I'm debating on a centerfire pistol can.

The octane is a few hundred over the QMF2 and Isis2. The Isis2 is now available in 45ACP, and is supposedly quieter than the QMF at 1" longer and slightly heavier.

It'll be my first centerfire pistol can so I want it to be versatile, but still somewhat economical. I am not going to be shooting 22LR through it, since I have a Isis22 coming. I'm also not going to be cleaning it with an ultrasonic cleaner.

What would you pick? The Isis2 with stamp is the same price as the Octane 45.

I probably shouldn't worry about price if it's going to last me a lifetime. I know both companies have great service.

Anyone have both or all three?

Is three lug attachment important to you? Then the octane.

Octane probably has marginally better suppression, but that is pure conjecture just based off seeing it compete with brands other than TM.

Will you ever shoot lead cast or clean with "the dip"? Then go octane.

I wonder what the Thompson machine fixed mount cost? Availability/cost of different threaded pistons? Ease of takedown? I just don't know a lot about them.

Is three lug attachment important to you? Then the octane.

Octane probably has marginally better suppression, but that is pure conjecture just based off seeing it compete with brands other than TM.

Will you ever shoot lead cast or clean with "the dip"? Then go octane.

I wonder what the Thompson machine fixed mount cost? Availability/cost of different threaded pistons? Ease of takedown? I just don't know a lot about them.
I can answer that. I have two fixed mounts and two boosters. Both fix and boostered 1/2x28 and fixed and boostered 13.5X1LH. The takedown is rather easy. The mounts CAN get stuck from time to time but using a oil filter rubber wrench takes them right off! The cost... varies. the fixed mounts are cheap. It uses gemtech and many other mounts.

on a Side note I LOVE my ISIS-2. Very easy to clean, VERY LIGHT WEIGHT and im very happy when the suppression. I was so pleased that I too bought an ISIS-22. Id rather the can be light weight. Im not a fan of stainless baffles. Though easier to clean... I dont care for the extra weight on the end of my pistol.

Last edited:
The Isis takes GT 3lug mounts, so 3 lugs are easier for it.

The octane is a little quieter, but heavier. Mounts are kinda tit for tat. Fixed mounts are 70-75 for both.

Here is a video of me testing the ISIS-2 VS the OSPREY. BOTH fired DRY. The isis-2 is on an HK USP SD and the osprey is on some springfield crap.

Was that, that lovely day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom