ODT tribe, need some direction: Treating my crawl for decay fungi and general moisture

Lowes and Home depot sell plastic / underlayment / vapor barrier / moisture barrier. Get 6 mil and put it down on the weekend. The next weekend get more 6 mil and do it again. ( double up )

I inherited this same problem when I bought my old house in Fayetteville. I still own it and I have a contractor working on this house right now. I previously tried landscaping with a bulldozer, and I installed a french drain a few feet away from the house, just to get the water to flow away from the house Without success.

I had aquaguard quote me 30k to wallpaper the cr@p out of my crawlspace, including a french drain inside the foundation hand dug at $40 per foot and 2 pumps.

I researched this and the biggest issue is keeping the water from getting under the house in the first place. We are excavating to the base of the exterior foundation, pressure washing the foundation, applying a paint on sealant ‘blackjack57’ To the foundation. The trench around the foundation Is sloped to force drain water downhill to the street.

The trench will have fabric to keep soil out, and have separate tubing for both the french drain and gutter run off, with clean outs installed for both should they ever become clogged, and everything will be covered with gravel.

The french drain will only have holes on the bottom so water can only go up to get into the tubing, just to keep soil from accumulating in the tubes.

Go big or go home. PM me If you want to contact my contractor. He is reasonable and does quality work. If you want to look at it it is currently in process and we are arranging gravel ASAP.

I inherited this same problem when I bought my old house in Fayetteville. I still own it and I have a contractor working on this house right now. I previously tried landscaping with a bulldozer, and I installed a french drain a few feet away from the house, just to get the water to flow away from the house Without success.

I had aquaguard quote me 30k to wallpaper the cr@p out of my crawlspace, including a french drain inside the foundation hand dug at $40 per foot and 2 pumps.

I researched this and the biggest issue is keeping the water from getting under the house in the first place. We are excavating to the base of the exterior foundation, pressure washing the foundation, applying a paint on sealant ‘blackjack57’ To the foundation. The trench around the foundation Is sloped to force drain water downhill to the street.

The trench will have fabric to keep soil out, and have separate tubing for both the french drain and gutter run off, with clean outs installed for both should they ever become clogged, and everything will be covered with gravel.

The french drain will only have holes on the bottom so water can only go up to get into the tubing, just to keep soil from accumulating in the tubes.

Go big or go home. PM me If you want to contact my contractor. He is reasonable and does quality work. If you want to look at it it is currently in process and we are arranging gravel ASAP.
This sounds like the plan except for the holes down pipe. Not heard of that before. Is there research on that method? Seems you'd want the pipe to be able to carry water away once it was encountered. I appreciate the silt collection concern but would think that should be mitigated by proper pipe installation. In to learn.

Back
Top Bottom