• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OK...so about this coyote hunting...be warned-ignorant questions inside this thread

strongtactics

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Governor
255   0
Reaction score
Some of you may recall that about 9 months ago, I started a thread entitled "what's the deal with all the coyote talk?"

For reference:
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/th...ith-all-the-coyote-talk?highlight=coyote+talk

So, I still have never seen a coyote, but now I have some coyote hunting questions. A friend of mine recently purchased 45 acres in Lincoln County. He apparently has seen some coyotes on his land and said something about getting rid of them. I told him once I learned about the legalities, with his permission, I would go to his land and do my best to shoot a few. He was all for this idea.

PLEASE FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS.....

With that said, what do I need and need to know to hunt on my friend's land for coyotes?
Do I need a hunting license? Is there some specific type of license I would need?
Is a 5.56 Ar15 good enough for this purpose?
Any chance with me being a completely ignorant rookie at this, that I will even see some, much less kill them?
What do I do with them if I do get lucky enough to kill one (or more)?
Best time of the day/night to try to spot/kill one?
What else??

Last edited:
Yeah, just read this on the Georgia DNR website:
Trapping and/or hunting are additional solutions against nuisance coyotes. Because coyotes are a non-native species in Georgia, there is no closed season for their harvest. Foot hold or live traps can be used to capture animals. However, coyotes may prove difficult to deceive with traps and hunting may be a better solution. When hunting, predator or animal-in-distress calls are effective methods of luring in a coyote. Coyotes are valued for their thick, attractive fur and are harvested seasonally for commercial use of their pelts.

You'll need a trapper's license to trap, even if there is no season. There are LOTS of rules about use of traps.

And you'll need a hunting license to shoot them, I think. That means taking the course online, then the sit-down short test, then purchasing the license. Not sure which class of license is needed; maybe just the main one, without the big-game addendum. But do your own research.

They're a lot harder to intentionally hunt than you may think.

Yes need a license
Yes 223/5.56 is plenty
Night time is best
Leave that nasty sum***** where it lays after shooting
Chicken in cage works good or a steel leader on a rabbit will get them out
Good Luck!

When I was a kid (in Kansas) it was a big deal. Guys would have trucks set up specifically for hunting with dogs. They spotted the coyote, pulled the lever to the dog boxes and the dogs did the rest. If the pelt was torn, or had a bullet hole, the buyer wouldn't buy them. Military used to use coyote pelts on cold weather gear.

You'll need a trapper's license to trap, even if there is no season. There are LOTS of rules about use of traps.

And you'll need a hunting license to shoot them, I think. That means taking the course online, then the sit-down short test, then purchasing the license. Not sure which class of license is needed; maybe just the main one, without the big-game addendum. But do your own research.

They're a lot harder to intentionally hunt than you may think.

Thank you. I was hoping there was some "coyote loophole" for a hunting license. I noticed they were not mentioned on the DNR website's hunting section, unless I missed it.

No plans to trap, as that (at least in my mind) would be a lot more difficult to do than hunt. Although, I agree that it will probably be more difficult than I expect, especially considering my lack of skills in that area.

Yes need a license
Yes 223/5.56 is plenty
Night time is best
Leave that nasty sum***** where it lays after shooting
Chicken in cage works good or a steel leader on a rabbit will get them out
Good Luck!

Thank you, Thank you.
Not sure my friend would want them left there, although that plan sounds best to me!

When I was a kid (in Kansas) it was a big deal. Guys would have trucks set up specifically for hunting with dogs. They spotted the coyote, pulled the lever to the dog boxes and the dogs did the rest. If the pelt was torn, or had a bullet hole, the buyer wouldn't buy them. Military used to use coyote pelts on cold weather gear.

Wow. Nothing like that will be going on with me.

Last edited:
All you need dude is a license, electronic call and a gun. If they don't come to the call in first 10 minutes, get up, go somewhere else, and try again. Be ready to shoot the second that call comes on. Coyote hunting happens fast.

Back
Top Bottom