• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Old home site.

IMG_3637.jpg Not really an OLD home site, But a Chimney in the woods, kinda.

Old homesites are great places to metal detect.

My inlaws were from Murphy, North Carolina and lived on a homeplace that was there for at least 100 years. There were root cellars and then filled in root cellars, filled in storm shelters and tales of Great Grandpa burying mason jars of money (mostly change since folding dollars were rare at that time) and no tales of anything ever being found.

Not allowed to search the grounds since the family is on the outs but there was always hope for a long time.

Any old home place is a good place to start swinging the metal detectors and what you find might be better than what you shoot but carry the rifle/shotgun just in case a good opportunity presents itself.

Nice. I like finding an old chimney. I have an old abandoned well on a property line. It's @ 4' square and @ 15' deep. It's actually on my neighbor's property and butt up against my property line.

Old homesites are great places to metal detect.

My inlaws were from Murphy, North Carolina and lived on a homeplace that was there for at least 100 years. There were root cellars and then filled in root cellars, filled in storm shelters and tales of Great Grandpa burying mason jars of money (mostly change since folding dollars were rare at that time) and no tales of anything ever being found.

Not allowed to search the grounds since the family is on the outs but there was always hope for a long time.

Any old home place is a good place to start swinging the metal detectors and what you find might be better than what you shoot but carry the rifle/shotgun just in case a good opportunity presents itself.
This one’s on public land. Don't know if that is legal for me to do.
outhouse holes and old roadbeds where it drops off where people threw bottles and stuff away
My Dad and I used to love checking out old bottle piles.

I found a lot of cool stuff digging in the privy of a homesite on the gun club property.
I hope it wasn't in use when you were digging in it.

I have to wonder, if you slowly tossed some metal washers down in there and waited a little bit for them to settle and then lowered your fishing magnet down on a rope if it might attract some of the washers through the glass and you might be able to pull up some bottles or maybe dropping them would shatter everything in the bottom. I don't know.

The story I was told was,change would fall out of pants pockets and a lot of fellers would sneak out for a shot and throw the bottles in the hole.
Our church had a two-holer when I was growing up but I always shucked my pants all the way down before I sat down so no way any change would fall out of my pocket. I was too young to drink so didn't drop a bottle down but do remember dropping the neighbors cat down one of the holes. Got scratched pretty bad in the process but was funny as could be at the time.

Back
Top Bottom