• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

OMG!!! KILL IT!!! KILL IT!!!KILL IT!!!...or not!

Looks like the pattern of an oak snake. I have either one snake in each of my storage buildings/shops or one travelling between the two, because I keep finding shed selling in them. The last complete skin was a great find to me because it did not have any tears or damage and was about 8.5' long, which I guess the snake would be around 5'.

These black rat snakes are GREAT to have around. Don't kill it. They are harmless unless you are a rodent or bird.

Preaching to the choir. I've been doing reptile rescue/rehab since the 70s. I've been studying, catching, keeping, breeding, all that time as well. And supplying herpetologists, hobbyists, zoos etc with snake handling equipment for more than a decade. All snakes are safe with me, even the "deadly" ones.

Last edited:
Looks like the pattern of an oak snake. I have either one snake in each of my storage buildings/shops or one travelling between the two, because I keep finding shed selling in them. The last complete skin was a great find to me because it did not have any tears or damage and was about 8.5' long, which I guess the snake would be around 5'.

"oak snake" is another common name for a "gray ratsnake". Most ratsnakes have the same pattern though it fades on some of the black rats to nonexistent and Everglades and Yellow rats have linear stripes or often a mix of the typical ratsnake markings and stripes depending on the purity of their genetics. "Oaksnakes" or "Gray ratsnakes", have a gray head and overall lighter coloration. I would also mention how far out of the gray rat range I live in but I'm surrounded by farmland and ratsnakes traveling across the country in bales of hay is not unheard of.

I would also mention how far out of the gray rat range I live in but I'm surrounded by farmland and ratsnakes traveling across the country in bales of hay is not unheard of.

We're slap dab in the middle of their range down here in SWGA, they're very common to see around here. I'm not a danger to them, they're welcomed guests around my home.

Back
Top Bottom