• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

? on savage hog hunter stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hog hunter in .308 is a short action which would make it a model 11. the barrel is heavier than a sporter so unless you want to relieve the stock yourself you're going to have to get one for a bull barrel.

Just my $.02 but if you're going to use this rifle as intended "As a down and dirty hunting rig" then why you would want to limit yourself with being able to shoot from the right side only with a thumbhole is beyond me. I also cant understand why you would want to add weight, wood, and a nice finish to a utilitarian piece that was designed to, and will go through hell and back as is. This is the first time I have heard of a grip issue with the stock. I have heard multiple complaints of stock flex issues but they mainly come from guys using a bi pod (a tacticool looking, heavy, mostly useless implement for most Ga. hunting or shooting) The bi pod flex solution is to move thew swivel stud back twords the action a couple of inches and the flex goes away.

If you want wood etc probably should have bought a model 14 American classic or something. If you want a factory rifle with a pistol grip then regardless of maker you're just about going to have to go aftermarket or buy one that has aftermarket installed at the factory and most of them still have a big fat oversized pistol grip on their varmint and tactical models.
I'm not really aware of a bolt gun that comes with a skinny pistol grip like an AK or AR.
Good luck finding what you're after.
PS. you can probably get about $35-40 for the Hog hunter takeoff stock to help offset cost of a new one.

Check out stockeys and see if they have what you want very helpful people.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He doesn't want that he want's a Boyds thumbhole. Didn't you read his response?

Don't think I mentioned what I would do.
You could have Googled the info easy enough to answer your own questions, but chose to ask on an open forum.
I may have tried to give a little more info and opinion than you asked for on known issues with the factory stocks and tried to point out options, strengths, weaknesses, and fixes for both factory and aftermarket units. If I'm not mistaken I may have also answered your questions in my response.
Sorry I tried to help.
Enjoy your Boyds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom