• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

One of the stupidest things I've seen lately

When I painted train cars(1994), the guy that prepped the cars for us to paint, had a MBA in psychology.
In 2006 I had a half dozen dump trucks and my 2nd best driver, had a MBA in finance..
Both guys said the same thing, they'd do manual labor for $15 per hr rather than make $35k -$50k working for a crook..
If only that were true in politics!

When I painted train cars(1994), the guy that prepped the cars for us to paint, had a MBA in psychology.
In 2006 I had a half dozen dump trucks and my 2nd best driver, had a MBA in finance..
Both guys said the same thing, they'd do manual labor for $15 per hr rather than make $35k -$50k working for a crook..
They are really setting their goals high there. Sheesh

She is whining about the wrong people/institutions. It isn't the jobs that should be paying more. Wages are set by supply and demand. It is the cost of education that is the problem. Higher education used to cost what you could conceivably afford because Universities/Colleges had to stay afloat by having students that could actually pay them. Then gov got into the student loan business. Then it became more than you could afford AND borrow. While every small university is adding new buildings, student housing, football teams, etc. All on the government dime doled out to a multitude of idiots that will never be able to pay the American taxpayer back. It's wealth distribution and slavery. With all the money going into barely regulated slush funds rife with kickbacks, graft and outright fraud supporting a level of widespread cronyism that is just shameful.

She is whining about the wrong people/institutions. It isn't the jobs that should be paying more. Wages are set by supply and demand. It is the cost of education that is the problem. Higher education used to cost what you could conceivably afford because Universities/Colleges had to stay afloat by having students that could actually pay them. Then gov got into the student loan business. Then it became more than you could afford AND borrow. While every small university is adding new buildings, student housing, football teams, etc. All on the government dime doled out to a multitude of idiots that will never be able to pay the American taxpayer back. It's wealth distribution and slavery. With all the money going into barely regulated slush funds rife with kickbacks, graft and outright fraud supporting a level of widespread cronyism that is just shameful.
correct: tax payers and other productive mercans pay for everything, especially thru inflation.

It's one of the reasons I never joined the mafia .... I mean union. When I started at Kroger in 1982, the hiring manager asked me if I wanted to join the union. I said, "No sir, I'd like to be a manager or buyer one day." He replied, "Excellent. I'm starting you at $5.75 per hour." Union start wage back then was something like $4.50 per hour. I received raises to $7.70 per hour by 1986 working at night in Athens while at UGA. My union coworkers would become furious with me because I'd see something that needed doing, and I'd do it even if it wasn't in my job description. One fat ass floor man carried a union rule book in his hip pocket and he'd take it out and thump it at me while screaming, "You aught not be doing that!". I just laughed at him. He could never get Sunday shifts and my manager allowed me to do whatever I wanted or saw needing doing on Sundays, even just dressing shelves. Sunday pay was from a different labor account and we were paid double time for Sunday hours.
Similar story with the phone company. Started at the bottom in 70's fresh off the farm. Dumb kid but good work ethic. Worked nights and college during day. Then flipped to day work and college at night. Ole Miss and GA State KSU...BBA MBA all paid for by Bell/ATT. Short version fought my way to highest paid craft job in Bell system then promotions to mgmt and amongst highest paid sales position in company. Lots of lessons learned. Ex. Early in my sales career sold a large phone system to major bank. Had a specific deadline for install. Went by for visit on Friday and saw boxes and boxes of phones. Had to be up and running Monday morning. From my technical background I started opening boxes and putting phones together. Techs filed a grievance and my boss told me that I had to stop. Same techs I brought pIzza to every past cutover which were typically Friday evenings. The scam was to put off work that forces company to pay overtime for night and weekend to complete the job. A known tactic and generally accepted. So much for 'helping' out. It was the game but we had great relationships after I learned to manage the customer's requirements against the tech's work ethic. Don't get me wrong.....these guys worked their asses off at times and knew their business. Valuable lesson in how to manage union mentality for the customer's benefit. Never had another issue but also they knew that I knew. There was usually enough OT as it was without manufacturing it at the client's expense.

Similar story with the phone company. Started at the bottom in 70's fresh off the farm. Dumb kid but good work ethic. Worked nights and college during day. Then flipped to day work and college at night. Ole Miss and GA State KSU...BBA MBA all paid for by Bell/ATT. Short version fought my way to highest paid craft job in Bell system then promotions to mgmt and amongst highest paid sales position in company. Lots of lessons learned. Ex. Early in my sales career sold a large phone system to major bank. Had a specific deadline for install. Went by for visit on Friday and saw boxes and boxes of phones. Had to be up and running Monday morning. From my technical background I started opening boxes and putting phones together. Techs filed a grievance and my boss told me that I had to stop. Same techs I brought pIzza to every past cutover which were typically Friday evenings. The scam was to put off work that forces company to pay overtime for night and weekend to complete the job. A known tactic and generally accepted. So much for 'helping' out. It was the game but we had great relationships after I learned to manage the customer's requirements against the tech's work ethic. Don't get me wrong.....these guys worked their asses off at times and knew their business. Valuable lesson in how to manage union mentality for the customer's benefit. Never had another issue but also they knew that I knew. There was usually enough OT as it was without manufacturing it at the client's expense.
You say scam, we said job planning….

Back
Top Bottom