• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

One of the stupidest things I've seen lately

Had a job in Detroit go 1500% over budget and 600% over deadline because the union got involved.......

I've never had a pleasant experience anytime the union barged their way in on our jobs so we just quit bidding contracts in union controlled areas.
I did a controls project at the Cleveland Cancer Center during a a remodel about 8 years ago, as a factory authorized representative for a lighting company. We were there to update software on light drivers (somewhere around 3,ooo individual lighting fixtures that had to be plugged into one at a time and a software patch uploaded). We were told in advance that only platform ladders were allowed on the project, sent out crew with (4) brand new platform ladders purchased specifically for his job. When we arrived, we were told that our ladders (brand new) were unacceptable because they had not been inspected, we couldn't get them inspected because the union electrical contractor's safety man had to inspect them...and he was not allowed to do so since we were not part of the union! We were told that the electrical contractor on the project would let us borrow (2) ladders that had been inspected, I sat on the job for two days with a full crew waiting for them to provide the ladders. Once we got them, they tried to take them back after about three hours.
It wasn't until I told the superintendent that our billing of $400.00 per hour started each morning when we walked onto the job site - whether we worked or not (they had ordered the incorrect light fixtures, we were helping them out by updating software instead of them replacing all of the fixtures) that we were allowed to do our job.

The UNION is a joke, I've been in the electrical field for 25 years and have worked on more union projects than I could count, everywhere from Boston to California and it is the same story everywhere...they don't want to get the job done, they want to milk it for as much time as possible while they are there. I understand why the union exists, but they have strayed way too far from their original intent.

They are really setting their goals high there. Sheesh
Right. They both had jobs in their respective fields for several years and decided it wasn't worth the time they were losing from their families.
I got into management in 2002 as an operation manager with a nationwide company and have had several jobs either in operation management or project management. I wouldn't consider anything under 65k with benefits, after the first opps mgt gig.

If you have the right degree you will. They low ball you, you tell them to get ****ed, and go onto the next offer.

If you're STEM, its easy. I am in industries I have no business being in solely bc I am good at math.
LOL, I was "schooled" to be a social archeologist and artilleryman but wound up in consumer packaged goods marketing, planning and analytics, later software development. Nearly EVERYTHING I studied at UGA as anthropological dogma has been debunked or disproved over the past 30 years.

But, but, it's the college life that's important. They gotta have the experience.

Like binge drinking with people you've paid to be your friends,
Waking up on the beach during spring break with someone that's coyote ugly,
Asking your parents to call or email your professor to get a better grade,
Hitting snooze on the alarm clock until your morning class is already over,
And of course: attending five seasons of college football!
My daughter's mom thinks that way. I got 1 through high-school and the youngest will graduate this year. I'll help them get student loans and help them make payments while they're in school, but I'm not (can't afford it if I wanted to) paying for their college. Their muther says she is even if i don't help. I'll keep their cars fixed and make sure they have food, but that's it.

LOL, I was "schooled" to be a social archeologist and artilleryman but wound up in consumer packaged goods marketing, planning and analytics, later software development. Nearly EVERYTHING I studied at UGA as anthropological dogma has been debunked or disproved over the past 30 years.
LOL, I was "schooled" in Finance, wound up being a Systems Security Architect. Go figure...

Had an older Dad whose family lost everything in the Flood of 27 in Greenville, MS. He was 16 with 3rd grade education in start of depression. He was the smartest man I have ever met. He was commercal fisherman, farmer and carpenter. He could catch, grow or build anything and everything. Retired at 62 with land and money in the bank to live comfortably for the next 30 years. He sent me to private school to get the best education possible. Wouldn't hire me to work for his construction company because he knew I would never leave. Made me work on the farm to understand and appreciate the land. Maybe we live in different time when working and going to school simultaneously is considered child abuse. Both of mine finished college debt free and worked jobs. Hopefully instilled a good work ethic. Appears it was a successful strategy as they both earn way more than me at the same age. Majored is disciplines that suited their inherent talents plus they enjoy. My advise to students is find something you're good at or enjoy. BTW the best sales manager I ever had was a French major but he worked as a used car salesman to pay for college. Go figure.

My daughter's mom thinks that way. I got 1 through high-school and the youngest will graduate this year. I'll help them get student loans and help them make payments while they're in school, but I'm not (can't afford it if I wanted to) paying for their college. Their muther says she is even if i don't help. I'll keep their cars fixed and make sure they have food, but that's it.
Sounds like a familiar conversation in my household, my wife wants to pay for ALL of their college, I told her that I would 'help' but it was their decision to go so they need to bare the brunt of the financial decision they made. I did pay for their cars, phones, etc. but if they don't take financial responsibility for their choices now, when will they start?

Sounds like a familiar conversation in my household, my wife wants to pay for ALL of their college, I told her that I would 'help' but it was their decision to go so they need to bare the brunt of the financial decision they made. I did pay for their cars, phones, etc. but if they don't take financial responsibility for their choices now, when will they start?
I set up funds for each of mine. When they get there, they will each have around 75k. Depending on where they decide to go and their high school decisions, college could be well more than paid for. Or, it could be a drop in the bucket. I'm giving them support, but their decisions will certainly come into play.

I set up funds for each of mine. When they get there, they will each have around 75k. Depending on where they decide to go and their high school decisions, college could be well more than paid for. Or, it could be a drop in the bucket. I'm giving them support, but their decisions will certainly come into play.
damn Dawg....you da man!!!

Back
Top Bottom