• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Opening a Spam Can of 7.62x54R

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderbass07

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
28   0
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help here. I'm going to the gun show this weekend at the Atlanta Expo Center and I'm probably gonna pick up a spam can of 54R. I've noticed when you buy online that if you get 2 cans they give you a free opener, problem is I don't have the money for 2 cans so I need another way to open this can. Do vendors sell can openers at the shows? Should I even worry about getting a can opener? If I can't get a can opener what's my next best option?

If not, an angle grinder on the lip does well to open it. Just be careful to stay on the lip of the can obviously :)

Its really thin and flimsy metal so really any stout, sharp blade will get one open. Just be careful not to knick the precious contents inside!

There is one ammo vendor (with about 20 tables) usually just left of center in the back of the exhibit hall that might help you. I bought a can of 54R from him and asked if I could buy an opener too. He fished around and gave me one, then took it back and handed me a heavier one and said "no charge". His prices are really reasonable for modern mil surp and most pistol calibers. I buy from him almost every show. There's usually a female and a male (in a chair mostly) and one big male that walks up and down the tables helping customers. That's the fellow I've dealt with for large purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom