• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions or experience with cordless electric lawnmowers

I bought the Ryobi 40v weed eater and blower combo a couple years ago. I paid 130 for it. This is my 3rd season with it. I love it. I do all of the weed eating then put the battery on the charger then use the blower when I'm done cutting. I'll never own another gas weed eater ever. If it wouldn't do my yard I would just buy an extra battery before buying a gas one ever again.

Lead acid battery powered equipment is not widespread, but the batteries cost a fraction of those proprietary battery units.

The Ryobi I bought last year was ok, not great. I have a half acre of grass and it took 5 batteries to get through it when it got long (2 weeks between cuts). I'm sure I'm a barbarian got mowing so seldomly, but the fact still stands that it struggled with my lawn.

Oddly enough, I just bought a herd of Greenworks electric lawn tools Saturday at Lowes, all use the same 60v battery size. My impressions thus far:
  • 16" Chainsaw: Definitely under-powered compared to gas. As long as I stick to branches smaller than my upper arm, it does okay.
  • Leaf Blower: Works great.
  • Weed trimmer: Works surprisingly well, as good as my gas model.
  • Self-propelled Lawnmower: Haven't tried it yet, may take her for a spin in the lower yard tomorrow and report back.
I wasn't planning on picking up all of those, but the mower was a display model that they sold me for just under $200, and it is normally around $450. It also folds up, taking a LOT less space up in my garage. The blower and trimmer came on sale as a pair for $200, normally $300. Ended up with three batteries and chargers, and one of the batteries is an Extended Run. My son and I put in a solid six hours of yardwork and (swapping) was never short a battery. i am never going back to gas for suburban yardwork. Clearing land or working a serious homestead would be another matter.

They work great for months then the batteries start to degrade pretty fast. Within a year my father replaced his battery while cutting his grass once a week and maybe 5000 sq ft.

I have the greenworks blower. I LOVE IT. So oddly enough I found myself on the Braves fied after the game on Fathersday and they were using Greenworks Commercial electric mowers. .

Get a gas mower. Eventually the batteries will not hold a charge, then you won’t be able to find replacements. Thinking about all those cordless drills and tools I’ve bought then had to replace when batteries were no good anymore and they were old enough I couldn’t get a replacement battery.

Gas mower will last forever. Or get a corded version. Much cheaper and don’t have to worry about running out of charge. Just my $.02.

I have the ryobi 40volt blower and hedge trimmer and on my 3rd year..am sure the mower eats the batteries more but my Echo backpack blower and gas hedger trimmer only gets used enough to keep running! These have been an awesome buy for me. I love just grabbing and going. Just dont overcharge the batteries leaving them plugged in all the time and they are great!

Back
Top Bottom