• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Optic assistance please

bulletslinger101

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
I have a Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 4-12x40 Riflescope mounted on a 700 .223 rifle.

Since this is a second focal plane optic, does anyone know what magnification it needs to be for the optic to be ballistically matched?

It has Beene a looooong time since I have shot this rifle and want to get out with it tomorrow to check Z.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Jokes always welcome:)

Update 1: Optics Report—————>

The reticle I have in this optic is a standard Mildot with 1/10th Mil adjustments. Just I arrived out to the farmland that I have been hunting on for years to go ensure this rifle was still sighted in and…… Yup she sure is:)

Anyways, I went through and made a tall target as well as a horizontal target to look and see if the mil dots would align at 100 yards.

They did!

I think the hardest part of today was hanging these targets so they were plumb with the ground for the tall target and level for the horizontal target.

Everything lined up Nicely as far as tracking plumb and horizontal.

So after checking this, I went ahead and removed them and shot for groups to look at where I was if shot groups were different from a couple years ago. Groups were G2G….

This rifle combo used to be one of my favorites to hunt pork with before I got into the AR scene on the Civ side of life. I had a very enjoyable time shooting this rifle out to 350 yards on a KD steel Range.

I got off the range that was dedicated for zeroing/ plinking and went to the woods to go see if I was able to find any large bodied deer to drop. I claimed out of the ground blind at 2010 this evening and am headed to camp.

I think next weekend, Ill go hit some farmland down in Blakely then transitions to some peanut fields in Valdosta (on my way to work with a couple units in Moody AFB, Valdosta). The hope out of this “Work” Trip Is that at the end of it, Ill have a couple Doe’s and a couple hogs to stack in the freezer.

We will see. Thanks to everyone’s replying.

Update 2: Rifle pic upload prior to loading the truck this AM.
bc0b7b105198a5c7a98e07fb32075c7a.jpg

Respectfully
Chris

Not sure if this will post or not being where I’m camping for the weekend. If not, Ill post this when I get home Sunday evening.

Cheers Everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it isn’t in the manual, and isn’t marked on the magnification ring (it will be circled, or in “bold”, or otherwise differentiated), then call Leupold, and good luck getting a correct answer.

Like folks said above, it’s usually the maximum magnification.

I was under the impression for SFP it’s only at the magnification on which it was zeroed not a specific magnification from the factory. But by default most people use the max magnification to do the zeroing so they can see easier.

I was under the impression for SFP it’s only at the magnification on which it was zeroed not a specific magnification from the factory. But by default most people use the max magnification to do the zeroing so they can see easier.
No. Stadia remains the same throughout the mag range, thus changing the values of the stadia. On FFP optics, the stadia remain true throughout the mag range. Say you zero your rifle at a hundred yards. So long as still shooting at 100 yards, it doesn't matter where you are on your magnification, hold center up, and you will still hit center.

Back
Top Bottom