• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Optic suggestions for my Redhawk 44mag

Jack Rabbit

Marines Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
148   1
Reaction score
Looking to add an optic to my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag.
What are some suggestions that won't need financing ?
Red dot ? Rmr ? Scope and power ?

44.jpg

I put the weig-a-tinny rail on mine.

I started with a 2x20 scope and liked it. I could shoot it extremely accurate and making 100 yard shots were very easy.

I've since switched to a red dot this one from Bushnell. https://www.bushnell.com/red-dots/rxs-250-reflex-sight/BU-RXS250.html

I like the red dot because its quicker and easier to aim but the scope was more accurate and there is no battery to worry about.

Posted pic above but I have a rail ordered for it.

View attachment 5649802View attachment 5649803
Weig-a-tinny is a good rail. If you are going with a scope, it's the real deal. Ruger rings will also fit that dovetail if you want to mount a scope lower with fewer connection points.
If you decide to go with just a red dot...Burris makes a Fastfire mount that is specific to the Ruger dovetails. ( Burris #410332)
Lightweight, trim and no unnecessary bulk. I've used them with some pretty warm handloads on a SBHH 44, and never had a hint of an issue.

I'd mount a Burris 2-7x as low as possible to avoid canting errors. That's how I did my similar 629. 7x is nice for long range plinking. Dropping standard velocity slugs in on steel well out there is a hoot.

If you're not going to shoot past 75 yards a red dot in place of the rear sight would be slick. JP makes a mount. Let your eyes choose which dot you buy in person.

i used a luepold 2x20 on my redhawk for 15 yrs before the retical failed. Switched to a TC pistol scope. So far fine.
larger objective helps with transmission at low light hunting conditions. Btw, also found that practice witha scope really really helped my pistol shooting.

Back
Top Bottom