• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ordering from Cheaper Than Dirt

Ok, I communicated with them by email and on a pair of pistols the shipping cost is the FFL transfer fee (only) of $10.99. I think a friend of mine suggested for one pistol it would be lower. Still, that is cheap, and they take Amex. I found someone near me to do the FFL transfer for $25.

Strangely enough, when i go onto Ruger's website and select 'buy' it jumps to Gallery of Guns, and Buck-n-Bass has them for a nice price, but the GoG fees pretty much puts the pricing right at where I would get quoted directly. But what I found worse was that while GoG indicates FFL's are ready to sell as if product was in stock was actual counter to what those dealers claim on their own website. So, buying through GoG and a local FFL doesn't seem any better that CTD in a transfer in terms of product acquisition and certainly not better in price.

I cannot speak for shipping costs on ammo. If that was a problem years in the past then that was that.

During the ammo shortage of 2008/2009, they were selling 380acp FMJ for somewhere in the neighborhood of $70/box.

It's a free market and I support their right to do that, but I since I also have choices in the free market, I prefer to steer my business to vendors who held the line to reasonable increases when ammo was tough to get, instead of trying to soak buyers like a trader doing business on the floor of the Chicago Commodities Exchange.

This was the point of my earlier post. The ad is from 2008; before they updated or cleared their list price from the page. I did not intend for that to reflect current pricing. Free market is great, but hosing customers has a lasting impression too.

This was the point of my earlier post. The ad is from 2008; before they updated or cleared their list price from the page. I did not intend for that to reflect current pricing. Free market is great, but hosing customers has a lasting impression too.

You are correct about that. The nearest Chevron gas station to me was higher than most before Katrina in 2005. Now they are consistently higher than all places on the planet and hose people as a norm. They are typically 20 cents higher, including other Chevrons near by. Has that stopped me from giving them my business? Sure thing, but then again Chevrons are a dime a dozen and CTD isn't. LOL

So, as long as each buy is a good one, I see no reason to snub them. And if that nearby Chevron got inline with gas pricing I'd return my business, too.

You are correct about that. The nearest Chevron gas station to me was higher than most before Katrina in 2005. Now they are consistently higher than all places on the planet and hose people as a norm. They are typically 20 cents higher, including other Chevrons near by. Has that stopped me from giving them my business? Sure thing, but then again Chevrons are a dime a dozen and CTD isn't. LOL

So, as long as each buy is a good one, I see no reason to snub them. And if that nearby Chevron got inline with gas pricing I'd return my business, too.

isn't capitalism grand? I'm not going to pay more elsewhere, but brownells, midway, centerfiresystems, cdnn, local stores will get the order before CTD if prices are in line (plus shipping). So I don't snub them completely; in fact, I love CTD catalog day! . I've found amazon to be a great source of cheap accessories too.

ahhh. I was looking everywhere on CtDs site trying to find Wolf 7.69x39. Couldn't find it. Now I capeesh.

I like MidwayUSA as well. They have slightly lower shipping costs but when you build an order the bottom line almost always still favors CtD. I did it again last night. Priced on both sites a 42" tactical rifle case, gripwell and hooded crosshair front sight for an AR15 and a fobus holster for a 1911. The total price was about $1.90 bucks difference with MidwayUSA being cheaper overall. But then there is that other thing to factor in Midway, as usual, is Out of Stock on one of my items. Nearly every order I look to make has at least one thing that is out of stock with Midway. CtD RARELY has out of stocks. In this case if I wanted the whole shipment now I would have to subsititute the non-hooded crosshair sight as the one I want is backordered.

I shop for the best deal I can find and in most cases that means Cheaper than Dirt.

Google cheaper than dirt bait and switch, and you will see some crappy stuff as well.

I ordered 5,000 rounds of .22 ammo, and they only shipped 2,000. Said it was a typo. The best part was they charged shipping for 5,000 rounds.

the point is what is the total cost of the order including shipping...many companies play with shipping...the only real comparison is what is the total cost...

Exactly! I always compare total cost, including tax from local sales, and whether or not I can use my Amex (cash back on everything). BTW, I did not wait for CTD today for the Mosquito--someone had one with a threaded barrel sitting in stock and I grabbed it. CTD $338.12 + $10.99 (S/H/FFL) + $25 = $374.11, but I bought locally and paid $407 out the door. See, I'm not always cheap. :D

Back
Top Bottom