• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Oxpho-Blue Nhm 90 refurb.

Wudee

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
178   0
Reaction score
I have a few parts I'd like to try to cold blue myself and was looking for someone who might have some Brownells Oxpho-Blue near the McDonough area that could sell me some. After shipping a 4oz. bottle runs $25. Kinda expensive so I thought I'd try the odt community first.

I've done tons of stuff with Oxpho-blue. It's amazing. If you do good prep work, it can look really good. I just did a single shot Winchester shotgun of mine that turned out awesome.
Tip: heat the metal a bit with a hair dryer after you degrease it.

Well I ended up picking up some Birchwood Casey perma blue and have done the topcover. So far so good. After 24 hours of an oil coating we'll see. Thanks for the responses and advice, appreciate it!

Just remember cold blues don't do anything to protect the surface of the metal. They only darken it. You should treat your parts as though they are bare metal and keep oil on them.

image.jpeg
Just remember cold blues don't do anything to protect the surface of the metal. They only darken it. You should treat your parts as though they are bare metal and keep oil on them.
Here are the parts after refinishing. I think they turned out pretty nice. I coated them in oil and haven't had time to polish them since last Friday. I'm hoping I can buff some of the shine down to get a better match for the rest of the rifle which has a more blue tone to it. A acmech enjoyed your video on cold bluing and learned some things, and thanks for the tip on the oil.

Back
Top Bottom