• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

P.C. Bullets

neat diy though kudos for that

I can understand where you are coming from with the time vs money argument. The time I spend on bullet casting saves me a lot of money.But this thread is really meant to give options to the guys who are bullet casters or may be interested in casting. It may not be practical someone who purchases all their bullets unless they can buy unlubed lead bullets at a reasonable cost. The time we spend on the powder coating is a trade off for the time we already spend lubing bullets and cleaning lead from the barrel after shooting. The start up cost for pc is minimal. I have less than $25 invested since I use an old toaster oven for baking that was about to be discarded anyway and a Cool Whip container for the tumbling. With pc bullets you don't have to worry about sizing for different firearms in the same caliber or lead hardness. And it is really nice to color code bullets using different loads in the same caliber. The process is worthy of trying for any of you guys who are casting.

im always crunching the numbers and am interested in anything new and learning somthing.i was just looking at blue bullets as an alternative as my handgun practice has picked up quite a bit. ive been weighing my options for sure. im not knockin it .my eyes are always open

Didn't take it as a knock, neighbor. Actually took it as a compliment. It never hurts to let others out there to know the different approaches to reloading. Our approaches may be different for whatever reasons, but our ultimate goal is the same.

There are several ways of doing powder coating. Some use an electrostatic gun but I use the cheap method with Tupperware type plastic bowl. Basically put bullets in with powdercoat paint from Harbor freight, swirl until coated and heat in small oven for 20 minutes or so. Size bullets as usual and load. Very detailed procedure on the cast boolits forum. So far they perform much like jacketed bullets which as you know is a huge benefit with the lack of jacketed bullets on the market. And I really like the no barrel leading.

I thought this was all BS until you mentioned the cast boolits forum. Those guys know what they are doing over there.

No BS at all. This is the real deal as far as I can tell with my limited testing. From what I understand shooters in Europe and Australia have been using powder coat and epoxy painted bullets for 20 years or more with good success. My first thoughts were similar to yours when I first heard about it but I had some powder paint on hand that I use for fishing jigs so I gave it a try. The baked on finish is extremely durable will not chip if properly cured by baking. And I agree with the comment on cast boolits, those guys take reloading to the highest level.

Back
Top Bottom