• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Paddle Release Conversion

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the general Newnan area that can do the paddle magazine release on a HK clone rifle?From what I have read it really isn't a DIY project for the faint of heart and requires drilling, milling and welding to be done correctly. Thanks in advance.

BTW: The recommended gunsmith on the HK forums is in Colorado, and isn't very expensive (less than $150 for complete job including touch up painting), but I don't want to have to deal w/ the whole shipping/waiting thing.

Last edited:
I am going to check w/ Brian and see if he has done them before. I have been w/o internet service (or really spotty service) for the past few days and haven't been able to email him yet. But, I am going to do so right now.

Just bought a PTR91 FR and was reading about the paddle release, what advantage is it over the button, the ergonomics??

Yes, that is pretty much the only purpose. Plus unless you have really long fingers, you have to take your shooting hand off the grip to eject magazine. Some people do not like having to do that as it slows reloading time. Personally, I don't care I, I just want to make it more like it was originally intended to be set up,

The mag release buttons on most 91 clones suck. Even if you have the impossibly long fingers to reach out to it without removing your hands from the grip, the button requires significant force/leverage to actuate. The paddle release has to be an upgrade, though I've never used one for this type of rifle.

Get a Tac Latch and do it yourself. No refinishing. Not sure if Brian does the paddle. Otherwise Bill Springfield, Jason at IGF or others.

Get a Tac Latch and do it yourself. No refinishing. Not sure if Brian does the paddle. Otherwise Bill Springfield, Jason at IGF or others.

I will look into the Tac Latch. Brian suggested using a HK gunsmith since it requires specialized jigs and is time consuming work.

Back
Top Bottom