• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Painting a shotgun and leveraction with Alumahyde II

h34choctaw

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
118   0
Reaction score
Well it has taken me 4 years to get around to doing it but I am finally getting around to painting my 357 Mag Rossi leve raction wood fore end and buttstock after repairing it. I had sent it to a gunsmith who came highly reccomended on this forum to fix the cracked buttstock after my buddy accidentally dropped it off of the deck railing 15' up at his house in the mountains. It cracked the stock at the tang and scratched up the forend but nothing happened to the stainless finish. Anyways the repair job was hacked up and I ended up redoing the "repair" and epoxy bedded all wood to metal contact areas and painted it with Alumahyde Matte Black. I bought two cans of black and did not buy any clear-stupid me!! The hazmat shipping charge on a $12 can is $15!! Somebody bail me out and trade me a can of clear for my extra can of black. I won't use the extra can and it will probably go bad. Will post pics when all is done. Yeah- I posted WTT on the classifieds but I'm hoping somebody who is not looking right now to buy anything in the classifieds but is cruising the Gunsmithing forum might have a can of clear sitting on a shop shelf. Help a brother out-I gotta get this loooooooooong project done with!!!

I don't have any clear, but try the Spar Urethane in the rattle can, seals just as well.

Just like the Hyde, VERY light coats seal the deal.

Back
Top Bottom