Patriotism What is it?

Bryan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
184   0
Reaction score
What is patriotism? Love or devotion to ones country is the dictionary definition. How do you differentiate what the government is doing domestically and globally from your feelings about the concept of your country?

The word ultimately derives from Greek patriṓtēs, “fellow-countryman or lineage member.” The root of this word, in turn, means “fatherland.” One can be a patriot, nationalist, or both. Love of country does not derive from support of its governing body, but the fellowship of a collective nation of countrymen. JMHO.

A term that is used to invoke emotion for a particular cause that may or may not be in the best interest of the Country. i.e “The Patriot Act” which so named to imply if you disagree with it you are not a patriot when in fact someone that opposed it is the real patriot as the Act denies rights and imposes more governmental tyranny.

The word ultimately derives from Greek patriṓtēs, “fellow-countryman or lineage member.” The root of this word, in turn, means “fatherland.” One can be a patriot, nationalist, or both. Love of country does not derive from support of its governing body, but the fellowship of a collective nation of countrymen. JMHO.
It was your tag line that got me thinking on this. The number of countrymen with which I care to share fellowship with is declining.

Back
Top Bottom