• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Patterned the turkey killers today.

24on48hunting

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Deer Hunting Junkie
215   1
Reaction score
I took the new .410 and my new to me 1187 Supermag out for some range time today.
I’m impressed with both guns.

First up is the Savage 301 in .410 with the factory X-full choke.
I shot 3” mag Federal TSS #9’s at 30 yards.
It put 147 pellets from its 13/16 oz payload in the 10” circle.
E6EF53ED-8206-40D5-B20F-A28608AF3657.jpeg

Next up is my 1187 Supermag. Factory Remington X-full choke and 3.5” mag
Winchester Longbeard XR #5’s. 30 yards was impressive with 224 pellets in a 10” circle,
so I went back to 50. The top target is @ 50 yards, the bottom one is @ 30 yards.
615864E0-CCA9-4D50-A97C-CF39854861ED.jpeg

I shot 3.5” Federal 3rd Degree loads in the Supermag but they weren’t near as good as the Longbeard XR’s. I’ll try some TSS #9’s in the Supermag later on this week.
Regardless, I’m set and ready for turkey season.
Now it’s time to practice laying down some of that “yawt yawt”!

.410 will kill a bird for sure. I've seen it.

It is a good idea to get those patterns before going hunting. It amazes me how many guys neglect doing this. You are getting some real nice groups.

Less than 2 weeks to go! Shoot them in the face!

Nice. I might have to test my new Carlson's turkey choke under the same conditions-- 30 yards, and count the hits in a 10" circle. Do you draw the 10 inch circle AFTER you shot, trying to encircle the greatest number of pellet strikes? Or do you draw it first and hope your shot pattern is centered over & around that?

I draw the circle first and then aim in the center of it. That way I can see where my pattern hits in relation to my point of aim and I can then adjust my aim to put the densest part of the pattern on the bird.

.410 pattern is very impressive. Nice and easy on the shoulder too I bet.
I’m quite amazed that they’ve developed a legit .410 turkey load that patterns so well. There is literally no felt recoil and the heavyweight #9 pellets should hit as hard as a #5 or 6 lead pellet. I didn’t shoot any more after that, but I’ve seen some posts from others who have gotten more than 160 pellets in a 10” circle at 40.
I’m hoping the 3.5” TSS in 12 gauge does as good as I’ve heard.

I’m quite amazed that they’ve developed a legit .410 turkey load that patterns so well. There is literally no felt recoil and the heavyweight #9 pellets should hit as hard as a #5 or 6 lead pellet. I didn’t shoot any more after that, but I’ve seen some posts from others who have gotten more than 160 pellets in a 10” circle at 40.
I’m hoping the 3.5” TSS in 12 gauge does as good as I’ve heard.

Talked to a buddy at work about the .410 and your post and he said he is taking his boys out with the same load in .410 as well. Whoda thunk it? With magnum mania gripping the gun community for the past century it just sounds crazy using a .410 to kill turkeys.

I think it's awesome and I hope you guys bag you limit! I believe in wringing out a gun/load for performance and results and not just relying on hyperbole and rumor mill. You've done you research and it paid off. You got me wanting to dust off the kids .410 and go try it out!

Back
Top Bottom