• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PC Build! Where my PC peoples at?!

CMDRShepard

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
62   0
Reaction score
I'm building my first gaming PC build. I have helped friends build and are somewhat knowledgeable about the hardwar but I'm not the best. I want to start small and build from the bottom. Upgrades can come later so I dont want to spend a grand on tech that will be obsolete in a few years. So far the build that I have right now is http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rJ3kzy . If there are any PC guys, what do you think? Is it solid for gaming and everyday tasks? I read you can overclock with this and still be fine. Any info would be great since it is my first true build.

If the link is busted here is the specs:
Untitled.jpg

I used to see the real benefit with the AMD price to power ratio but now days the Intel i5 core and i7 have so much more horsepower you might consider running up a second proposed build and see if you can get close to the same price, if so go with the Intel CPUs.

I used to see the real benefit with the AMD price to power ratio but now days the Intel i5 core and i7 have so much more horsepower you might consider running up a second proposed build and see if you can get close to the same price, if so go with the Intel CPUs.
Would it be possible with a $600-700 build?

I've only built Intel, so I can't speak to the AMD system, but I'd say maxing out your motherboard is where to spend money for the most future-proof and upgradeable system. Also, a Samsung Evo SSD has spoiled me on startup time.

I agree with Joab, AMD had its place and offered a lot more performance for the price but if you can go with an Intel i5 or i7 I would go that route. I always used Asus motherboards so I can't comment on the Gigabyte board, but everything else looks good. For most gaming systems the Video card is crucial to having clear non jittery high speed graphics. The OS that you plan on using will also be critical in having a smooth running machine.

All of my builds have been Intel, so I really can't give you too much feedback on the AMD set up.

I agree with others on spending more on the motherboard. This will allow you to "future proof" your build. I'd also recomend an ssd for a boot drive. I have a 120G ssd with Windows 7 and still have room for Origin and BF4 on it. I have a WD Black 2T hard drive for Steam and all my games.

I also recommend Microcenter for all yor parts. They have two locations around Atlanta and I'm a regular at the Marietta location. They will match most online prices so don't hesitate to ask. Let me know if I can help.

Asus boards have treated me very well. I ran an asus ROG board on my home theater pc for over three years without a hiccup. I never turned it off and it was in a tv cabinet without the best ventilation.

When it was time to upgrade I went with another asus board with another i7 and am very happy so far. I don't remember the model of board I used but it is one of the TUF series boards designed to handle less than ideal conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom