• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

PCB fishing in June

As for sharks I've seen lots caught off the pier at night. I don't have the gear to go after the big ones but have caught some 1-3 ft sharks off the pier (I think they were bonnethead).

image.jpg

Here are two things to try-
Both are at the Jetty at St Andrews Park in PCB.
First, go as soon as the park opens in the morning (if tides are right) and free line a 1" cut piece of cigar minnow about 20-30 feet off the very end of the Jetty. I believe the tide was all the way in or just about completely in plus early in the morning when I did really well. If the smaller fish aren't abundant the cut bait should eventually sink down to the rocks and right into the mouths of the Mangrove (grey) Snapper and Black Grouper living in amongst the rocks. Be patient and don't use weights, you will spend more time retying, plus the fish bit better while free lining Count while it sinks and you will know when to anticipate a bite and when your bait reaches the rocks. The Mangroves are quite tasty. Last time I was there I caught some big Sheepshead off the right side of the end as well. They were in the calmer water. Live shrimp or crabs for them jokers.
WATCH YOUR BAIT LIKE A HAWK; RACCOONS ARE ALL IN THE ROCKS AND WILL STEAL YOUR BAIT AND EAT YOUR FISH RIGHT OFF OF YOUR STRINGER. I recommend a soft sided cooler with a zipper top. They'll try to get into that too so keep an eye out. It's kinda late but there may be some Spanish Mackerel off the end of the Jetty.

Secondly, there are a ton of Bull Redfish (Drum) that feed alongside the Andrews Pass side of the Jetty on a PEAK outgoing tide. Look for the section of old walkway on the jetty right where it meets the sand along the beach. Stand there or just down 50-100 feet toward the end and watch for the Reds cruising amongst the turbulent water. Ironically enough, I was catching them on a Rapala Skitter Walk 5/8 ounce that was "Redfish" in color. Cast up current and let the plug drift to them. Walking the Dog with that plug will be near impossible in that current so don't worry about that. Just twitch it and they will hit it. Other colors will work but not as well. A bone colored Mirror Lure Badonkadonk was my #2 lure. Bring several of those Rapala plugs, because the Reds will get down into the rocks and cut your line. I used a 7' Ugly Stik and an Ambassadeur 6600 "The Brute" bait caster spooled up with 80# braid. I also used a 4' long, 100# mono leader that I modified myself. The leader will withstand the rocks better than the braid. A backup setup is wise-these fish are strong. Barbless hooks will make releasing quicker and easier as most of the Reds won't be legal anyways. A mediocre setup will mean that you will be trying to run down the Jetty in order to prevent being spooled by the fish- this will be hard to do without falling and getting tangled up with other folks. Get a stout rod and good reel that will allow you to muscle these fish in without running across the Jetty.
The leader I modified had crimps at both ends- I tied one end to the plug with copper wire- I wrapped it excessively to prevent the wire from unraveling. Make sure that the plug can still move freely. That will help improve what little action it will have in the water. It will be enough, so don't fret. Peak outgoing is key-that's when they are really heavy in there.
I hope this helps and will be glad to explain any of that via phone if you need clarification. Good luck to those who go.

One of the numerous Reds I've caught there. Never caught a single one that's been in the slot limit-all of them were over 27".
That's Andrews Pass over my right shoulder. I'm standing on that section of walkway in that pic.
image.jpg

As for sharks I've seen lots caught off the pier at night. I don't have the gear to go after the big ones but have caught some 1-3 ft sharks off the pier (I think they were bonnethead).
If bait is present around the piers the Kings will be in there too. Seen some Bonita running in there too. Live cigar minnows are the ticket. Its wise to keep a Sabiki rig handy for catching them.

There are so many good eating fish in the Norther Gulf of Mexico right now. Snapper will be open in federal water in a few hours and already open in state waters.

Back
Top Bottom