• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pentagon May Scrap 35 million depleted uranium rds used by A-10 Warthog

I know this is an old thread , but how much “old ammo” you reckon is “depleting” as the world turns? If memory serves me? there were plenty of conflicts to use this , long gone, ammo before the “expiration date” . Maybe we need a US Waste Division if it’s too much wook to bookkeep?..they could redesignate the ATF? I know those 30mm Gotcha’s would come in handy now.

So we care now that there's slightly higher rates of cancer in the countries we went to war with?

If that's what's so important, don't make us go to war with you.

About the only concern I could see here would be in training, and the armed forces are already getting crap about lead contamination on their ranges, so I'm guessing Uranium would be a problem.
Problem is our troops were frequently exposed to the aftermath while in combat zones, especially in the first gulf war on the highway of death. Apparently investigating destroyed armor vehicles is enough to contaminate an individual. The risk is now known, but many of our brothers and sons are now suffering, some having lost their lives. I believe the resulting lawsuits are what is pushing this topic.

Could you imagine if a de-milling operation decided to sell the powder to the commercial market and it ended up on your reloading bench. I'm sure they say that won't be allowed, but I wouldn't trust money hungry companies to just throw away the spoils of war.

Problem is our troops were frequently exposed to the aftermath while in combat zones, especially in the first gulf war on the highway of death. Apparently investigating destroyed armor vehicles is enough to contaminate an individual. The risk is now known, but many of our brothers and sons are now suffering, some having lost their lives. I believe the resulting lawsuits are what is pushing this topic.

Could you imagine if a de-milling operation decided to sell the powder to the commercial market and it ended up on your reloading bench. I'm sure they say that won't be allowed, but I wouldn't trust money hungry companies to just throw away the spoils of war.
WW2 got my Grand Father and a whole lot of other soldiers. The gasses caused cancer in a lethal way. Your post made me think about him. Didn’t know him long but remember how humble he was ; said he’d do it again if they’d let him (as Many have said). Pretty wild how things have changed, and imo the things you mentioned shouldn’t be happening , not one time. They have plenty to worry about already.

Back
Top Bottom