• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Peter Meter - Ham Radio?

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Well, it could be, I don't have a clue,

some sort of analog meter, needs power source of unknown voltage, was in box lot from an auction.

Pick up in Athens

Founded in the mid 1970's by two Ham Radio entrepreneurs "Advanced Electronic Applications" designed and manufactured creative, advanced equipment and antennas for the amateur radio market. Throughout the 1980's and 1990's it was a respected leader in this market. In the 1990's AEA underwent a change in name to AEA Wireless, Inc. and in ownership moving from Lynnwood, WA, to southern CA. In 2001, AEA Wireless was purchased by the current owner, CEO and President, George Naber. George redirected the company away from the fading Ham market to concentrate on the commercial RF and cable testing markets. The new AEA, now AEA Technology, Inc., still supports a loyal Ham following, but is quickly being recognized for providing high-quality, rugged, portable RF and cable testing solutions

https://www.radioexperimenter.us/rm-1982-01/mode.html

A $9.99 value anywhere else, but completely free on ODT:
//www.ebay.com/itm/373527810928?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001n the ODT,

F6DOJ4c8Mh3ksiZWauBbbPlO3AkfhN9_yONSn49EpP5Qjy9lhtxumNXJgpK3DxC2sbKVaQZTKMZNX4ic9a27mWYLhgPleAziTYBRgWqRC8ZYYC07h6sR9k_o0sYuXWcxP6KVSx11-yOWx_yINK44DBQ9kUasS8e-TjVQdU9MmOiqRHMkLsX2ozb9P_wr7PqHvVYIRmOpGO-bSTBuw8ZSnrqHn3D_nSCU_okrA3JhOWtOlpEMFunOkyni--BjPDKfFP8g4rAuWT_hQcu1uXIMAcnll2YgQiwirAfGSEVngL8TEkZoeOmL3dCzMq6q_5CmUTFIbzdt_aCObPcUrGn55XZEG1RaKkPQJyCUWQuYdChzHbbSCmiD1An2J7oso5ezGg0o2ep6Af4cAD-cU_iR86mfoJLyDqLFdBgANa3VZOw0Q11qwu_GIfE970HP6jFcYmiE3UWGTsEtx-G_2pLOwH1WlWaEYQEanPKWUKo9Mg8mJHsBBGRXpcjORpIakf0jwt9hANO1TrsM_c1gHZV0hoGgHdewzCxy9N-8f4utbGCWEZLGU5h7d-5q2YLXMTM2aRDImECSwT2oX_7yf20sq7HZaj82WRGew0ssqpsdY48J-JuuGNKlldyktYanadVBhdvVJ6bZSGh4X_Mo5mUJhZG-7e28xeOoH93ZxZKmRUFz2COEZ2KgZbbKhnbO5Zm1ykPuLgUrXFWeGF1kt_ZxpiSF=w1048-h787-no

Today only,

well, maybe tomorrow, the day after, and the day after that one

Your picture didn't make it through. Based on the links it looks like an early model digital mode decoder/reader, something that was used before PCs were in common use for running digital modes on Amateur Radio.

I had one when kind of like that when I was stationed at Misawa Air Base in Japan that could copy the baudot and I believe it came from MFJ. It wasn't fast but it was effective once you connected with another station. I was a High Speed Morse Op in my Air Force job so had no problem sending or receiving Morse at about any speed (and no I didn't send Morse as part of my job, that just came naturally after learning to copy code).

I had one when kind of like that when I was stationed at Misawa Air Base in Japan that could copy the baudot and I believe it came from MFJ. It wasn't fast but it was effective once you connected with another station. I was a High Speed Morse Op in my Air Force job so had no problem sending or receiving Morse at about any speed (and no I didn't send Morse as part of my job, that just came naturally after learning to copy code).

Yeah Morse is another language all in itself. I learned it the hard way by trial and error. When I first got started in ham radio over 50 years ago, Morse was the only mode I could operate with, so I learned it a little bit at a time. I finally worked up to the Extra Class License, which required that I copy perfect for one minute at 20 WPM at the FCC office in Atlanta. CW or Morse is my favorite mode today although I am not as active on the bands now, but I can still run with the 25 to 30 WPM guys. You don't write all of it down at that speed, or at least I can't. ... _._ _.. . W4TL.

Yeah Morse is another language all in itself. I learned it the hard way by trial and error. When I first got started in ham radio over 50 years ago, Morse was the only mode I could operate with, so I learned it a little bit at a time. I finally worked up to the Extra Class License, which required that I copy perfect for one minute at 20 WPM at the FCC office in Atlanta. CW or Morse is my favorite mode today although I am not as active on the bands now, but I can still run with the 25 to 30 WPM guys. You don't write all of it down at that speed, or at least I can't. ... _._ _.. . W4TL.
The Air Force spent 6 months teaching us to copy 18.6 GPM along with a lot of operating procedures and radio theory. We had to copy on an MC-88 typewriter (all caps manual typewriter copying on 6 ply paper with 5 sheets of carbon paper). I came out of tech school copying 30 GPM and felt pretty good until I got in the field and was saddled 8 hours a day copying between 40 and 50 GPM under a lot of static and other folks keying away.

I don't do much CW any longer (went to tech school in 1970, got my Novice in 1982 and my General in 1984), retired from bopping dits in the Air Force in 1992. Still radio active but am steadily losing my hearing and I can't dig out the weak signals like I used to be able to (being 70 is hard when parts stop working). But, if SHTF I can pull my old tube transceivers out of their faraday cages, improvise a multi-band dipole and be on the air with my bug in a very short time. It's good to have something to fall back on.

Back
Top Bottom