• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pheasant hunt... Need recommendations

Rzr570

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm planning a pheasant hunt for the upcoming season. I'm looking for firsthand recommendations on lodges. Anyone have any advice/recommendations? Obviously, looking at SD, but not limited to just that....

The best advice I can think of is to remember.....they ain't quail! Use #6 Express, take your time, think ....(*) a male bird more commonly know as a COCK, the opposite of the female, which is known as a HEN, then THINK.....SLOW....helicopter, and you will never miss!

I haven't shot pheasants at Big Red Oak near Gay, but I have shot clays there a good bit.

The facilities are top-notch!

I hunted SD once. Pretty awesome. I can't remember the outfit though. My dad took us. I can recommend SD though. If it matters to you, check to see if the outfitter is putting birds out. There are tons of wild birds but some outfitters supplement birds. Personaly I like m wild.

I grew up hunting in NE, SD, and KS. Great pheasant hunting in all three states, especially CRP. We had about 10,000 acres of private ground to hunt, but the WMA's are good too. Remember to use non-toxic in migratory bird areas, you WILL get checked by game wardens. I love Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 2 3/4 1.25 oz 5 shot for lead.

When using steel, make sure to use 2 shot. 4's don't break wings.

Never hunt tame birds.

I've gone, twice, with A1 Al's. Emery SD. Nice family bunch. Husbands, Wives, Cousins etc. They have contracts with many local land owners and a great selection of fields.
I liked the hominess of their old house, but this fall their new fancy lodge will be ready.

Also Mitchel is just 15 min down the road. Great Cabella's nearby, and dont miss the Corn Palace!

Back
Top Bottom