• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pictures of your 4 Wheel Drive Vehicles.

Old Beast before I sold it. Miss her everyday

Attachments

• IMG_3401.PNG
    IMG_3401.PNG
    264.2 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: JHW
Well done. Please tell me it has gray interior. GM red is awful. ;)

Red on red! I like it because its just like my first new truck I ever purchased back in '88. Except it was burgundy. This pic is from around late 1993 or 1994, 6" lift and 35" BFG's and a GM crate ZZ3 engine. It would run out pretty well.

20171106_220116.png

Red on red! I like it because its just like my first new truck I ever purchased back in '88. Except it was burgundy. This pic is from around late 1993 or 1994, 6" lift and 35" BFG's and a GM crate ZZ3 engine. It would run out pretty well.

View attachment 1380737
You can't fight nostalgia. ;)

My truck's blue interior is only marginally better.

I just finished rebuilding the front end on mine - new ball joints and steering gear. Does yours have loose steering?

You can't fight nostalgia. ;)

My truck's blue interior is only marginally better.

I just finished rebuilding the front end on mine - new ball joints and steering gear. Does yours have loose steering?

It tracks and drives great. But there is a little play at dead center. I'm thinking steering box?

It tracks and drives great. But there is a little play at dead center. I'm thinking steering box?

If it has the sensor on the steering Collumn just above the BL rake pedal that adjusts the power steering boost , just unplug it

I had a burb with that and when the sensor goes bad the pump boost goes up and down randomly which will drive you crazy

The on center play could be any component in the system
The pitman arm usually wears out on that model

Get a helper to rock the steering wheel back and forth while you use a strong flash light to carefully look at each part of the steering t see where the slop is

1986 CUCV, M1009, still all mil 24 volt diesel, only just turned 30K, from FT Benning so no rust, one of the most pristine I've seen, Floor board coated with Rhino coating and new undercoating underneath. Great rubber, belts, and will climb a tree. Thinking about selling, had it 7 years and only out 4K miles on it, needs to be an every driver, but retired now and only drive it to the range once a week, did replace pintle hitch with ball type but still have all pintle parts. been kept garaged since purchase from Deputy in Hiwassee Ga., Added CB and AM AFM radios, mud flaps & steps to help my half cripple but get i, has night driving lights intact so drive in darkness with your NV goggles. Best Bug Out you could get, I've decided to bug in so may put non market so someone would use it. Pic is from year before I retired I was the on to one to show up at work only to learn it was closed so fun times were ahead pulling folks out of ditches. Never use for mud bogging, stump jumping etc, I've outgrown all that.
cucv.jpg

The steering box is a contributing factor. The pitman arm, the idler arm, and the inner/outer tie rods all have ball joints that wear over time. In addition the steering shaft has a soft cv joint that also wears and allows play. As roundhouse roundhouse mentioned you have to look at the components while someone moves the wheel in order to see the excess movement. Each item gets an 1/8" of play and the compounded effect is what you feel in the wheel. On my truck I have replaced every piece except the steering shaft. I plan to replace it once I find the correct parts.

Back
Top Bottom