• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol grips round 2 (1911)

North Ga Hillbilly

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
37   1
Reaction score
Well I got a chance to put some time into grips again, these being 1911 grips. I'm pretty happy with these, tho I made one blaring mistake... can you spot it...

I put a mag release dent on both sides, dumb. I also drilled the holes after shaping, which made them look ratty.

Thanks again to Colossus for the standard set of grips to base these off of. I am going to send these out to him after a few more coats of oil and he can check for fit, so well see how well I did after that. If they look good then I'm going to make another set with some ever more burled walnut.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v325_phergus_25_IMAG1058_zps67238605.jpg

This shot shows the grain the best

img.photobucket.com_albums_v325_phergus_25_IMAG1060_zps6dd0f8a6.jpg

And this one shows them the best overall

NGaHB

Next batch the holes will be drilled differently to minimize the chipping. I also plan to split a board so I can get the same grain on both sides, but didnt want to use the nicer wood on a pair that were sure to have a few problems

Split it and flip one side before you cut to shape...Book ending is what it's called...That way your grain runs the same direction on each side...When you get a wild grain like Lacewood, the rounding over of the grip will show BIG differences in the graining unless you bookend your wood...1911's are easy grips to make...even easier to mess up! Trust me, I know!

Back
Top Bottom