• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pistol safe/box

Does your kid have access to your bedroom while you’re asleep? I usually recommend to lock the firearm up during the day and leaving it unlocked at night.

I also don’t recommend being able to grab an unsecured weapon while prone in bed. I prefer to be much more awake when I’m accessing a firearm. If you’re using a bedside safe, then that’s fine; you should be awake by the time you get it open. If you’re like me and the firearm isn’t locked up, keep it somewhere like the bedroom closet. I have to cross the room to get to it.....I’ll be awake by then. In the room with me is a GSD and a GSD/husky mix, plus the house alarm is set at night. I’ll have plenty of time to access a firearm if I need to.

Robbers and bad guys will send in nasty comment cards if you ask them to wait while you open your gun box.

When we started having kids we stopped carrying one in the chamber. So all of our guns (with four kids) are loaded, stashed around the house, and "condition three". Our kids up to 8 years old can't rack the slides so they could be completely unsupervised (never happens), find one of our stash guns (hasn't happened yet below 12 yrs old), and carry it around like a cowboy (13 years now and never happened) and he/she STILL wouldn't be able to make it functional.

If you're in an area where you really might need a gun, consider just making them condition three instead of locking them up in a box. Guns need freedom too.
  • Condition 4: Chamber empty, empty magazine, hammer down.
  • Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
  • Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
  • Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Just reference for those that aren’t familiar with the conditions. But I agree with your storage method. Most of the guys I trained with store their firearms at home in condition 3, which is also recommended officially I believe. They only change to condition 1 when EDCing.

I picked up a $12.95 lock box at Harbor Freight. It has a key but no 3 year old will be able to open it. Mine is to keep little ones from getting to the firearm. I don't use it when they are not in the house.

I remember seeing those when I last visited my location. I can't remember though, is the one you got big enough to store a small and medium size pistol together or just big enough to fit one medium to large pistol only?

Looks like a nice safe, thanks for the review. Personally I use these ones and find them to be pretty secure. I'm leery of the biometric tech and having it flake out on me.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 10.47.52.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 10.48.44.png

Back
Top Bottom