• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Places to Rappel

I did AA at Ft. Benning. There were AA classes at Benning, Campbell, and West Point. The paceman didn't take off like in your class. I just purchased and used the Bluewater 11mm assaultline rope too. I didn't know they were out of Carrolton. I think it would be cool to learn how to fast rope... I've also heard SPIES hurts. There's a few places around town I want to check out once it stops raining. I'm still using a swiss seat because that's what I know... I'm not too familiar with the figure 8s.
. It’s easier and faster to get on and off rope with a figure 8 as well as control your descent speed and stopping, especially when under a heavy load and when free rappelling.

SPIE ops are just like airborne ops…if you don’t get your harness on right and tight, it ain’t going to feel good.

I went over to Keown Falls at John's Mountain and found a great place to rappel there. Resized_VideoCapture_20210716-201058.jpg

Yonah has a number of spots to rappelling from. It's busy with hikers on the weekends so would require a few people to be with you. At least a belay person and someone up top at the anchor point.

There is "the boulder" there that is specifically for rappelling. It's a 40 or 50 foot drop with some free fall to it as on there's no cliff to kick off on.

I learned to rappel up there with friends when I was in my late teens. Back then we had army green line, but bought some blue water assault rope. It was much faster. I found out the hard way on the Boulder and went off the edge and to the ground in about 4 seconds. Scared the **** out of me. I thought I was gonna die. We hadn't gotten to the chapter on belaying yet.

Rangers used to train at Mt. Yonah, might work for you.
Took the Boy Scouts to Mt. Yonah a couple times Good place to camp too. Rappelling there was fun and the anchors are already there. Probably put there by the Rangers. It takes a little nerve to step of that cliff backwards the first time. All of the scouts but one went down. After the first time it was a blast.

Back
Top Bottom