• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Plane crash….

True on most general aviation twin engine aircraft. Not commercial jets, they can take off at maximum gross weight and fly one one engine. But they will never do that.

I know a pilot who flies a Beech Baron. (Light twin) He is proud of the fact that his aircraft will climb at 100 feet per minute (virtually nothing) on one engine as long as he keeps the gear and flaps up.

The moment either the gear drops or the flaps are extended, that is no longer the case. His point is that he can control the aircraft and maneuver it safely to an airport where he’ll have one shot at shooting an approach and making a safe landing.

Multi engine aircraft certified under FAA Part 23 only have to demonstrate a positive rate of climb (single engine) which can amount to 20 per nautical mile (for example)…. that is the regulation that MOST general aviation aircraft are certified under…. Beech Baron, Cessna 310/402/421/404, Piper Seneca, Navajo, etc….

Multi engine turbine aircraft like Beech KingAir or Jet aircraft are certified under FAR Part 25, which is a different standard and the manufacturer actually publishes data in the operations manuals for climb rate for a given altitude/temperature/weight and aircraft configuration…. all aircraft used for public transportation (Delta, American Airlines, Southwest, United Airlines, etc) will continue to climb with the loss of engine thrust on one engine on takeoff….

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Young gal like one in OP was taking her first flight.
All excited, she sat next to a well dressed older couple.
She says Hi! I'm Betty Sue from Decatur, where ya'll from?
Without looking up from her magazine lady replies
We're from where children are taught not to speak unless
spoken to as well as to never end a sentence with a preposition.
Betty Sue says you're right please let me rephrase that.
Where ya'll from?, Bitch

Back
Top Bottom