Planning an e-tool/machete test video, any suggestions?

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone, one thing that I really get into for some insane reason is entrenching tools/hand shovels/machetes/hand-held instruments of death. Always had a soft spot for them, and love theuir versatility. The only thing I dont like about them is having so many options! So, I am planning to do a test on different e-tools out there and a few machetes for comparisons sake and wanted to get some input on things to test out on each one.

The e-tools contenders are:

- USGI e-tool, late model with the metal handle (pre-Gerber contract)
- "Chinese Military Shovel", fresh off the boat from China. This is the legit model with individual serial numbers.
- Cold Steel SF shovel ("Spetsnaz" shovel)

Also going to throw in comparisons with two machetes when appropriate, a Gerber gator and a USGI (or maybe knockoff?) sawback machete with knuckleguard.

I am basing the comparison on a SHTF survival shovel requirement. AKA, you need to do X-Y-Z tasks and all you have available is this shovel. I wont be lining them up against one-dimensional dedicated tools (aka a legit shovel) because that would be a no-brainer. More interested in seeing how each one stands up to abuse, and when compared to each other. Here are the tests I am lining up:

- Shoveling (duh) - digging an improved fighting position
- Digging - making a cat hole to poop in
- Chopping - splitting a piece of soft pine
- Hacking - clearing brush from my front yard
- Sawing - sawing through a pine bough
- Slashing - effects of shovel edge vs controlled ballistic media
- Throwing - attempting (lol) to stick it in a wooden disk at a distance
- Hammering - pounding in a nail and a tent spike
- Prying/Forcing - using the edge and blunt force to open a locked container
- Carrying - packability, weight
- Wear and tear - effects of above tests on each tool

Looking for input on the tests I have lined up, and for suggestions on more things to throw at them. Trying to keep it as level as possible so niche things like wire cutting and opening cans (things only one or two of the entrants can easily do) are not going to be tested as a group, but I might run through those things individually with each shovel. I am going to be tested the machetes when appropriate also, for things like hacking, slashing, throwing, sawing, etc.

Will probably do the cutting edge tests both as they come from each factory and after a quick sharpening with a file and stone. All of the shovels and machetes I listed above I have now in their original form, so I might as well make an excuse to sharpen them, right?

Also, if anyone has any other shovels or machetes they would like to be tested just let me know! or if you feel like sharpening a bunch of steel give me a ring, Im not too good at it haha.

I have been interested to see if Cold Steel machetes are better than anyone else's. I love their pocket knives, and won't buy anything else. Still haven't bought their machete yet.

Back
Top Bottom