• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

surprise water test adventure

steviesterno

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
yesterday we got a "boil water" notice to possible contamination in Cobb county. Map was bad so we weren't sure if we were covered or not, but decided to err on the side of caution and put water preps to a test.

I passed, but it was annoying. From making coffee to brushing teeth with bottled water, the instantly potable stuff went quick! I always have ~4 cases of bottles and ~30+ gallons in one gallon containers, but I was surprised how much water we went through living normal lives for an evening.

Also surprising how much the thought or dirty water ruins every day chores, like washing dishes and showering and all that. I have paper plates/plastic utensils and was willing to camp-clean if needed, but it didn't come to that.

I have 150+ gallons stored in barrels in the shed for longer term, but I think I'm going to get a 5 gallon or 3 of water that we can pull out to use for whatever. Seems like a few water cooler jugs would be super handy.

Happened without warning, with me at work, kids at school, wife alone at home. So I'd consider it a good trial run.

When I was looking at storing water. I was looking for a way to route municipal water through a storage vessel the into the house to prevent the water from not being fresh.

None of that would solve the problem with water that needed to be boiled.

Look into what it would cost for a well system. You won’t have a monthly bill and as long as you have power, you’ll have clean water.

yesterday we got a "boil water" notice to possible contamination in Cobb county. Map was bad so we weren't sure if we were covered or not, but decided to err on the side of caution and put water preps to a test.

I passed, but it was annoying. From making coffee to brushing teeth with bottled water, the instantly potable stuff went quick! I always have ~4 cases of bottles and ~30+ gallons in one gallon containers, but I was surprised how much water we went through living normal lives for an evening.

Also surprising how much the thought or dirty water ruins every day chores, like washing dishes and showering and all that. I have paper plates/plastic utensils and was willing to camp-clean if needed, but it didn't come to that.

I have 150+ gallons stored in barrels in the shed for longer term, but I think I'm going to get a 5 gallon or 3 of water that we can pull out to use for whatever. Seems like a few water cooler jugs would be super handy.

Happened without warning, with me at work, kids at school, wife alone at home. So I'd consider it a good trial run.
These are the 5 gallon vented lid jugs you've seen at the house. Good, solid, compact storage solution. Highly recommend these: (Blanton's not included)

1705785112824.png

It is also handy to have a way and plan to filter water as a supplement to water storage, especially in a situation like a boil notice.

You can continue to use the municipal water as long as it still runs from the tap, and not having to tap into an emergency supply meant for when there is no water at all stretching out the number of days/weeks/months etc.

It is also handy to have a way and plan to filter water as a supplement to water storage, especially in a situation like a boil notice.

You can continue to use the municipal water as long as it still runs from the tap, and not having to tap into an emergency supply meant for when there is no water at all stretching out the number of days/weeks/months etc.
jaxyaks jaxyaks i do have a bunch of options to both boil and filter, but was trying to see how far I could go before it got a little more tricky.

My wife was like “how long are we good for?!?” And I said something to the effect of “approximately 3 months of it never rains again before we have to drink from the pool.”

recycled water is killing america, here in BREMEN WHEN U FIRST TURN IT ON THE SMELL OF Chlorine will make u cuss! but we don’t drink it !

When I was looking at storing water. I was looking for a way to route municipal water through a storage vessel the into the house to prevent the water from not being fresh.

None of that would solve the problem with water that needed to be boiled.

Look into what it would cost for a well system. You won’t have a monthly bill and as long as you have power, you’ll have clean water.
You can pump... but wells aren't always clean... you need to treat them as well

Got a 600 dollar bill when i lived in fl for ecoli in my water

I have been looking into getting a well drilled due to problems with bored well. $12K-$14K average for a drilled well and all that is need to make it usable. Don't even bother with a bored well. Not worth the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom