• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

plate carriers????

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
Please educate me on plate carriers I would like to get one that I can attach different things to to kinda customize for my use and what I want to carry. I am a 2x size man so keep that in mind. What do you use our recommend for a plate carrier and plate setup (pictures help)

I have an Eagle Industries LE PC. Shoulder straps suck was my only complaint. Upgraded those first off.

I have ESAPI plates in mine. Lighter than SAPI.

No current pics, but I don't have a ton of stuff strapped to mine.

I'd keep on eye on eBay. You can occasionally snag a really good deal on a used, military grade plate or armor carrier. Good brands would be made by Eagle, Paraclete, Mayflower, et al.

for new I'd look at the TAG banshee or a PIG plate carrier. Optics planet usually has good prices on the banshee, and SKD on the PIG (wait for a holiday sale though).

The military issue Interceptor Body Armor and newer issue IOTV can be found in surplus stores around military bases, sometimes, and most still have the Level III soft armor. I've worn both in Iraq and Afghanistan. They go up to XL.

I would recommend, no matter what you buy, lay hands on first and see if it will fit and meets your needs....if possible.

What are you going to use it for? Couple carbine classes per year; SHTF scenario sitting in your closet just in case "they" come calling; wearing hours on end in a hostile environment as a contractor....? There are several options from minimalist to full protection with cumber bun.

I personally have a old woodland IBA, HighSpeedGearInc Woosatch-A($170), a Condor MOPC ($60-100 on ebay), and recently acquired a SKD PIG (retail $350 shipped). Of those, I like the PIG the best. Well thought out design, fit and finish are quality. The Condor is a great budget carrier with good quality, comfy shoulder pads, and optional cumber bun. They also come in solid colors up to ATACS-AU & FG. Bang for the buck for average Joe, it's a great carrier and will accommodate SAPI and steel plates. Tactical Assault Gear (TAG) makes quality gear, I have a rack they made and it served me well in AFG. Eagle Industries make good carriers but I couldn't find one at a deal...too rich for me. Again, there's lots of makers.

Plates are another point of personal preference and budget. I'm on a budget and found a guy at http://www.maingun.biz who designed a MIL-A-46100E plate .25 thick and military rated for 30.06 AP. I saw his test plate and it did not dent as much as the AR500 test plates I've seen. He's got a lot of good information on his website, make your own assessment. Steel can take multiple hits and doesn't crack if you happen to drop it on its side. The SAPI type ceramics are cadillacs but designed for one hit and replace...if you can afford that, go for it. I can't so I opted for steel cause it's durable and can take multiple hits...will it suck, yes, but I'll live to tell.

Here are a couple sites you can research for yourself...just depends how much $$$ you have to spend. Like TheAreopagite said, eBay is a great place to find a slightly used carrier for a discounted price.

http://www.maingun.biz
skdtac.com
highspeedgear.com
optactical.com
lapolicegear.com
tacticaltailor.com
condoroutdoor.com
tyrtactical.com
tacticalassaultgearstore.com
eagleindustries.com
infidelbodyarmor.com
bulletproofme.com
http://www.velsyst.com/store/

That should get you started...and your credit card smokin'. Just ensure your wife gets hers too :)

Good luck! Aim small, miss small! And pray for our Nation!

RLTW!
Psalm 91

Dont remember how much i paid, but i got my Eagle PC from SKD during a sale and free shipping. They've got some good stuff.

i would definitely check Ebay though

i ended up buying some HSGI shoulder pads for it. Wider and offer a better grip.

The military issue Interceptor Body Armor and newer issue IOTV can be found in surplus stores around military bases, sometimes, and most still have the Level III soft armor. I've worn both in Iraq and Afghanistan. They go up to XL.

I would recommend, no matter what you buy, lay hands on first and see if it will fit and meets your needs....if possible.

What are you going to use it for? Couple carbine classes per year; SHTF scenario sitting in your closet just in case "they" come calling; wearing hours on end in a hostile environment as a contractor....? There are several options from minimalist to full protection with cumber bun.

I personally have a old woodland IBA, HighSpeedGearInc Woosatch-A($170), a Condor MOPC ($60-100 on ebay), and recently acquired a SKD PIG (retail $350 shipped). Of those, I like the PIG the best. Well thought out design, fit and finish are quality. The Condor is a great budget carrier with good quality, comfy shoulder pads, and optional cumber bun. They also come in solid colors up to ATACS-AU & FG. Bang for the buck for average Joe, it's a great carrier and will accommodate SAPI and steel plates. Tactical Assault Gear (TAG) makes quality gear, I have a rack they made and it served me well in AFG. Eagle Industries make good carriers but I couldn't find one at a deal...too rich for me. Again, there's lots of makers.

Plates are another point of personal preference and budget. I'm on a budget and found a guy at http://www.maingun.biz who designed a MIL-A-46100E plate .25 thick and military rated for 30.06 AP. I saw his test plate and it did not dent as much as the AR500 test plates I've seen. He's got a lot of good information on his website, make your own assessment. Steel can take multiple hits and doesn't crack if you happen to drop it on its side. The SAPI type ceramics are cadillacs but designed for one hit and replace...if you can afford that, go for it. I can't so I opted for steel cause it's durable and can take multiple hits...will it suck, yes, but I'll live to tell.

Here are a couple sites you can research for yourself...just depends how much $$$ you have to spend. Like TheAreopagite said, eBay is a great place to find a slightly used carrier for a discounted price.

http://www.maingun.biz
skdtac.com
highspeedgear.com
optactical.com
lapolicegear.com
tacticaltailor.com
condoroutdoor.com
tyrtactical.com
tacticalassaultgearstore.com
eagleindustries.com
infidelbodyarmor.com
bulletproofme.com
http://www.velsyst.com/store/

That should get you started...and your credit card smokin'. Just ensure your wife gets hers too :)

Good luck! Aim small, miss small! And pray for our Nation!

RLTW!
Psalm 91
wow thanks for the reply and your time it took for you to give such a detailed reply

Glad to assist. We survive together. One weak link and the phalanx shatters. Sharing knowledge is key. Lord knows I don't know near enough.

I'd rather have it and pray I don't need it that to need it and not have it.

RLTW!
Psalm 91

Back
Top Bottom