• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Please, Change Your HVAC Filter at The Proper Time...

Well, there are those filters called “Median Air Cleaners” which supposedly you change it every 12 months. They’re 5” thick filters, which you can buy Merv-11 or Merv-16…. I have them in my house. —Even though, I change them every six months.
Same here. Every 6 months. I have replacements on a scheduled auto order, so when they come in, they get changed.

HVAC friend has been in the business 40 years says buy the cheap filters and change them monthly. I have one system thats 18 years old and has never been touched. and another thats 15.

I religiously change my 30 day filter every two weeks on average. Cheapest insurance available for my unit.......... plus we have 3 indoor dogs.
Change mine out every 30 days as well - we have 2 tropical birds, and their dander & down is always flying around. But as Mike states, “Best insurance policy you can get” !!

HVAC friend has been in the business 40 years says buy the cheap filters and change them monthly. I have one system thats 18 years old and has never been touched. and another thats 15.
Your friend is absolutely correct - aside from the monthly filter change, I bring in our HVAC GUY, (also a family friend), he looks everything over, makes me pour some Clorox down the drain pipe, (to prevent drain from clogging up), and we’re done for another year ! House is 11 years old, and so far so good !

Those here with pets and wondering what their 'hair' does to your HVAC, just pull off the bottom grille on your refrigerator and look at the heat exchanger coils. That'll tell you how bad your pet problem is. Other than that, the worst particulate problem with HVAC filters is the fibers kicked up by old wall-to-wall carpeting. Hard shoes on carpet cause more; bare feet in the house are less of a problem, and a regular thorough wetvac carpet cleaning from most any good carpet cleaner will keep it down. You can judge how well you're doing by looking at dust and particulate accumulation on your return air grilles.

The very last thing you want is all that crap to get past your filter and end up clogging your AC coil in the air unit....if it takes changing every month or two weeks, it's much cheaper than having some repair guy coming out to tear the unit apart and clean off the exchanger...

I used to do heating and air many many moons ago, you'd be surprised the number of houses I saw that just took it out all together. All that crap got blown directly onto the evap coil. Changing a $6 filter is a lot cheaper than a $800 coil...

I change mine when I change the thermostat. When I switch to heat or to cool I change all air filters as well. Manufactures recommend no more than 3 months but that was excessive for our use.

Back
Top Bottom