• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PM63 RAK

patracy

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
55   0
Reaction score
So, I've been piddling in the lab. I bought a few PM63 kits to build. First one I'm trying is a SMG. I'll probably build a SBR after this. Anyhow, the PM63 is an interesting firearm. It's the a little bigger than the size of a long slide glock 41 folded up. It has a grip up front that folds out into a VFG, as well as a telescoping stock. It fires from an open bolt. The trigger is interesting as well. A half pull results in a single round being fired. Pull the trigger back further and it's full auto.

Here's what I started with.
www.robertrtg.com_store_pc_catalog_mis_6371_299_detail.jpg

The receiver comes in 5 pieces. Welding them up is, well interesting to say the least. I used the slide as an alignment jig for this gun, but I think I'll get a jig to build another one to cut on polishing/milling time needed. Also the problem is the barrel is like a browning with a twist/lock setup. There was another FFL that had made a few barrels that I luckily was able to purchase. The PM63 orginally was chambered in 9x18 Mak. However these barrels I picked up are in .380. So it's a little easier to come by here for ammo. I think if I make any more of these outside the SBR, I'll be machining my own barrels from a 9mm blank.

So the first order of business is to simply weld up all the frame cuts. I didn't take pics of this. But it's pretty involved and thin sections to weld up. I did a combination of MIG and TIG depending on the area. Once that's done, I milled out the slide cuts. Then polished them in until I ended up with this.

Getting to that point, it was time to start putting the "guts" in. I haven't found anything in English on how these things are assembled. So there was a lot of me sitting there trying to figure out where some things went. Especially the springs.

So today at lunch I got in a hurry to test it out. I was playing around with it in the office with snap caps until I got it to feed. Got in a hurry and left my safety glasses on the table doh! I didn't even realize it until after I did everything. (I went back in to get a ladder to hold my phone and took them back off. Not an excuse, but just goes to show how easy it is to forget something important)

Now the gun runs fine. But I'm waiting on a reamer to get the stock assembly completed. Please excuse the janky tie wrap for now. But once that's done, it'll just need a good sanding of all the worked areas. Then I'll probably have it parkerized.

I'll update when it's 100% complete. But in the mean time, here's another build in the pipes....

Attachments

• 15326065_1319718438050339_2164316255371889462_o.jpg
    15326065_1319718438050339_2164316255371889462_o.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 300
I've done a few kit builds over the years. I'm kinda excited about the M31 builds to come since I already have several drums/mags for them. I have a M70 I need to build as well. After all these little projects though, I've got to build a M2. And I have a desire to build a MG42.

So glad you posted this, I really wanted to see this after you started telling me about how you planned on accomplishing this when we met up last month....now you just need to sell me one lolol

That just looks like way too much fun

Yeah, the videos show the fun part. There's a lot of not fun part it doesn't cover.

So glad you posted this, I really wanted to see this after you started telling me about how you planned on accomplishing this when we met up last month....now you just need to sell me one lolol

Well, you can't have this one. But I could do a SBR probably.

Yes, to build it into a SMG (as it originally was) would require you to have a 07/02 at the minimum. There's still options for you though. You could build one up as a pistol. (Pin/weld the stock and pin the VFG) But it'd require some additional machining to make it into a striker fired/closed bolt semi. There was a company looking to import them a while back as a pistol, but it fizzled out due to a number of issues. Their FCG was actually closer to a mini AK FCG.

Not to derail your thread but this is very interesting to me. I am a welder (mostly tig) by trade and also have some machining experience and access to a good mill. Would you have any recommendations for a first parts gun project to try and tackle?

Back
Top Bottom