• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pocket Watches/ Any of y'all know about them?

letusbuyyourcar

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
203   0
Reaction score
So my mom has half a dozen give or take that my late stepfather bought in the 80s. There's a Waltham and a Hamilton in the bunch. One has a tag that said railroad certified or something like that. She wants to eBay them but I told her to wait until I know more. There are also Case knives from the 80s but I didn't get pics yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230903_114158473.jpg
    IMG_20230903_114158473.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230903_114151174_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230903_114151174_HDR.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230903_114147434.jpg
    IMG_20230903_114147434.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230903_114142255.jpg
    IMG_20230903_114142255.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 25
I began collecting pocket watches back in the 60's and have maybe 15 or 20. They all are in excellent to like new condition, but most do not a high dollar value. One obvious exception is my late Father's railroad certified Hamilton 992-B that he utilized as one of the Chief Dispatchers for the Illinois Central Railroad and its successors. He had to choose a pocket watch [no wrist watch] from a short list of approved ones and had to have it maintained and adjusted annually by a jeweler on a short approved list who would engrave his initials and date inside the case as proof of his work. The watch had to be accurate to within 30 seconds between inspections. Not for the average, non-familiar individual to touch. You do not just pull up the bezel and rotate the hands to set the time. You first unscrew the glass front, then raise a small metal lever along the perimeter of the watch, then lift the bezel and set the time, then reverse to finish. Ten karat gold finish and 18 to 21 jewels inside. Remarkable piece. Thanks.

See that's good information right there. I was vaguely familiar with the history of watches and the railroad. Hell, Omega still makes one called a Railmaster. And I believe Ball Watches started out that way. It's just damn hard to put any kinda value on these things.

I have both my grandfathers' retirement watches. I checked their value and it was minimal...not that I would want to sell but a shame - I figured old watches like that would be worth a lot more.

At one point back in the early 90's I was offered $350 for my Father's Hamilton, but no way would I part with it for any reason. Now, as I contemplate whom I will leave it to when I pass into Glory, I have no one who really shows any interest in owning a watch you do not utilize on a daily basis. It just takes up space. FitBits have their attention now. As an aside, my Father's Father utilized an Illinois brand certified pocket watch and had it stolen right out from under him in his depot one day. That also was a nice collectible. Such is life.

I have a few …. Waltham, Hamilton, ….and I forgot the others. Kept in the safe in the jewelry box with other stuff I never wear or use ….lol.

At one point back in the early 90's I was offered $350 for my Father's Hamilton, but no way would I part with it for any reason. Now, as I contemplate whom I will leave it to when I pass into Glory, I have no one who really shows any interest in owning a watch you do not utilize on a daily basis. It just takes up space. FitBits have their attention now. As an aside, my Father's Father utilized an Illinois brand certified pocket watch and had it stolen right out from under him in his depot one day. That also was a nice collectible. Such is life.
Similar situation. I have the pocket watch my father bought when he was 14 so he could be on time for his morning paper route that was partly responsible for supporting his family. That was 1927 and the watch was made in 1919. It's not a "railroad" watch, but a good watch.

Because it was well used, it has minimal collector value.

No one in my family cares about it, or the story. I hate to think that it is going to end up in my sock drawer, and get sold at an estate sale to some picker. Then I get morose, and wonder if it makes any difference any way.

I have both my grandfathers' retirement watches. I checked their value and it was minimal...not that I would want to sell but a shame - I figured old watches like that would be worth a lot more.
Problem is there's an awful lot of old pocket watches and minimal demand for them.

It's like in fifty years is anyone gonna want an old cell phone. High end Wrist watches are still around for the bling factor but nobody wants to pull something out of their pocket to check the time when they already got a phone that does the same thing.

Problem is there's an awful lot of old pocket watches and minimal demand for them.

It's like in fifty years is anyone gonna want an old cell phone. High end Wrist watches are still around for the bling factor but nobody wants to pull something out of their pocket to check the time when they already got a phone that does the same thing.
i still wear a wrist watch.

I work in the public schools some, and watches are virtually non-existent among faculty and students. Occasionally someone will wear a designer watch as an accessory.

Teachers tell me they are getting elementary students who can't tell time on a regular clock face,

I have found some students who get confused if you tell them the time is " 20 till XX"

i still wear a wrist watch.

I work in the public schools some, and watches are virtually non-existent among faculty and students. Occasionally someone will wear a designer watch as an accessory.

Teachers tell me they are getting elementary students who can't tell time on a regular clock face,

I have found some students who get confused if you tell them the time is " 20 till XX"
Really something in the differences in upbringing. I was taught after and till the hour… had to learn my Uncle’s military time meaning. Have since about 15 and still do wear a watch.

Back
Top Bottom