• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pocket Watches/ Any of y'all know about them?

Really something in the differences in upbringing. I was taught after and till the hour… had to learn my Uncle’s military time meaning. Have since about 15 and still do wear a watch.
It's a hoot watching them try to tell time on a clockface with Roman numerals.

I have one that my great uncle picked up in Germany during WW-2

He got it from a nazi soldier , they were doing house to house fighting and , he a and a nazi soldier came face to face unexpectedly and both pulled their triggers and the Germans rifle didn’t fire , but my uncles functioned properly, and the nazi soldier was killed .

later during the war , my uncle was injured by a artillery or mortar or a land mine or some kind of shrapnel , and died in the early 60s from complications from those injuries .

We’ve been told the watch is suspected to be a very early Rolex , the watch has a serial number but no brand name .

But who knows , it’s Probabaly not worth anything more than the gold content , but the family history of it means I will
Never get rid of it except to pass it on to my son .

He got it from a nazi soldier , they were doing house to house fighting and , he a and a nazi soldier came face to face unexpectedly and both pulled their triggers and the Germans rifle didn’t fire , but my uncles functioned properly, and the nazi soldier was killed .

later during the war , my uncle was injured by a artillery or mortar or a land mine or some kind of shrapnel , and died in the early 60s from complications from those injuries .

We’ve been told the watch is suspected to be a very early Rolex , the watch has a serial number but no brand name .

But who knows , it’s Probabaly not worth anything more than the gold content , but the family history of it means I will
Great story. Thanks.

i still wear a wrist watch.

I work in the public schools some, and watches are virtually non-existent among faculty and students. Occasionally someone will wear a designer watch as an accessory.

Teachers tell me they are getting elementary students who can't tell time on a regular clock face,

I have found some students who get confused if you tell them the time is " 20 till XX"
It really messes them up when you use “quarter after or til‘ ———- “. Or “Half past —————“ LMAO !!
It is fun watching the expression on their face sometimes !

I have an old Hamilton that my grandfather had. I know it is old since he was born in 1894 and a wristwatch wouldn't keep time on his arm. He passed along this fun to me. I've only had a couple of watches over the years that would keep time. I also mess up radio reception at times if i get too close.

Pics please. Sounds like a damn cool time piece. In the early days Rolex was a tool watch intended for that type use. It didn't turn into a high end luxury watch until sometime around the early 60s.

Back
Top Bottom