Polish AK mags $10.95

@bambam's write is spot on. I bought some of these and are excactly as he described them. However none of them would lock up in any of my rifles, or even come close to fitting. From a Wasr to an Arsenal they would not fit. I ended up soaking them in acetone for about 6 hours and scraped the paint off. It came off in strips like a latex house paint. Very thick. Repainted and baked them and now they are functional. Just my experience with the Aims mags.

I bought 15 when they were first offered. After reading this post I thought I better check the fit last night.

Lock up tighter than a drum in my PAP pistol 14/15. So I got my file out and made number 15 work. Just need some touch-up paint and I'll be good.

Strange how the inside of these mags are unfinished.

This is the second offering of these from AIM. Here is my findings from the first offering:

The finish on the exterior of these magazines is excellent. There are no runs or drips. The paint is very hard and silky smooth. I can tell it is thick, but flowed out well to fill voids and imperfections. A 45 second lacqueer thinner summereged takedown plate held up good. I did not find any grit, sand or reidue in the magazines and I was looking especially for media material.

The exterior of the magazines appears to have only been refinished. The top of the follower is done, but not the sides or underside. Most of my followers were very nicely blued or what looks like to be an old flat black paint or park job on the other followers. This made we wonder why do the paint on top at all cause these looked pretty nice, but then again there were some old black paint/ parked ones, but these looked good anyway.

The magazine bodies are not refinished inside. However, there was not much rust on the inside of any of my mags. Just a light dust here or there. Some were blued on the inside and some had a flat black paint/park on the inside that was like the followers. The floorplates are the same way. Outside painted and inside not. The takedown plates were not refinished, but still looked very nice. After looking at a few it makes me wonder why these magazine were refinished at all. Maybe the exterior was rough. I did have one magazine that the finish was stripped of everything, inside and out, but not repainted or anything.

Out of the 20 I ordered I got one with a fairly large dent in the rear next to the spline. The follower is almost free, but I do not like any dents in this area. All the rest were great with pretty much zero dents. These magazines are a joy to disassembly. The floorplates are fitted excellent. All mine required a small tap on the takedown button to break the paint between the button and the floorplate. The sprng action on the followers is smooth.

Out of 20 several had spline stamps and all had follower stamps. A few were the earlier magaaine body style. Blued , zinc, and enameled magazine follower springs were found. Flat rectangular and humped takedown plate buttons were seen.
Question:
On the rough condition ones I have, a ton of rust colored cosmoline or grease came out of one. I think I need to give them all a soak in some acetone, kerosene, paint thinner, etc. What do you recommend? On a couple of the rusty ones I soaked them in coke to convert the rust, but did not soak the springs. I read that may weaken them.
What would be the best liquid to use to soak the entire mag is for cleaning? Spring included.

If you have rust in the mag body, you could borrow the rust removal technique that people use on the receivers: boil in water, soak in Evapo-rust, coat in oil. I think boiling water will displace cosmoline no problem, and the Evapo-rust will take care of any rust.

The one mag I had to file had some strange hieroglyphics stamped and none of the others did.

IMG_1098.JPG

Here's where I had to file. Didn't remove a whole lot of metal, I think the paint was just really thick in a couple of spots.

IMG_1097.JPG

I ordered 20 of them on the first batch. Only one had a little bit of surface rust on the spring, little bit of steel wool and oil took care of that. The paint is just really thick.

There's a large thread about these mags on the AKfiles some mixed reviews about fit, but mostly positive reviews.

Back
Top Bottom