Polishing question: How do I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparked1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
206   0
Reaction score
So I have a Ruger with SR9c with a stainless steel slide. Most of it has a grey matte finish but some of it is shiny. The shiny parts show a lot of fine scratches so i thought I could dremel them out with a sanding bit. I did that today and it reduced the shine a bit but not like I expected. My intent is to make the shiny parts more of a matte finish but make it look "finished" (smooth). It doesn't look bad now but it looks like it could use some finishing polish or something. Can anyone help me out here? Can I buy certain grit sandpaper and do it by hand? Thanks in advance.

Bead blasting with 120 Grit works great and gives best control over retention of engraving.
You certainly must use lots more care withanything more aggressive!

I have successfully used a woman's non-abrasive nail buff with Jeweler's Rouge for light spot work.

The objective is to retain the original shape and dimensions of anything that you work upon! For instance:
Dimensional changes on the chambered portion of a barrel for an auto pistol with a Browning Lock-up could
lead to disasterous results, including loss of life!

Using a fine grit scotch bright pad or steal wool will dull the finish and leave a smooth surface. It will take more elbow grease than bead blasting, but is inexpensive and can be done yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom