• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post SHTF prioritization...food for thought (long thread)

Billrube

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
First off, this is not meant to be an all encompassing "plan" just putting some thoughts down in writing in the hopes that it sparks more thought, debate and ideas among other like minded people. My thoughts listed here are based on "staying put" because that's what we've got to work with.

Insert whatever SHTF scenario here<______________>.

Power is out indefinately so far as we know and as of now we are on our own until further notice.

Depending on your location, expecations could be vastly different as far as the speed with which society breaks down.

In my own neighborhood, I would expect the first few days of a crisis to be somewhat of a non-event as we have been without power due to tornados/tropical storms and Ice storms in the past for between 3 days and and week.
Once the realization that the power may not be on for an extended time and trips to the grocery and gas station prove to be fruitless runs, then the situation would begin to change.

This is what I am thinking as far next steps:
(1) WATER: I'd have the family start filling every available container with water. We are on city water and need to get what we can before the treatment plant goes out. (we have other sources for water but it's not as easy as filling containers at the sink)
(2) SECURITY: weapons/ammo check. what ever this is for you and yours. Just keep in mind that if a situation occurs quickly, you may not have time to load mags position your weapons.
(3) PERISHABLE FOOD: Freezers will be good for a day or two without power but after that things will start to spoil quickly, especially in the summer time.
Small packs of meat/vegetables should be cooked and consumed quickly. Better to cook it all and eat well that to lose a lot of it fast.
It you have turkeys/hens etc. that are frozen I would leave these for last as they thaw slowly and will help keep temps lower in the freezer.
If you've got milk/dairy/eggs in the fridge and a dutch oven or propane oven, I'd do whatever baking the milk/dairy/eggs would allow. Baked goods keep longer and are edible even when stale.
(4) LONG TERM FOODS: Begin inventory of stored foods and look at meal planning from jump street. Hopefully you've got some plans already in place and you can just review then, do a quick inventory of current pantry items and begin executing your dietary plans.
(5) SECURITY: From the first night forward, we should have a plan to secure our propane tanks, outdoor grills, etc. I would think these would become a target for theft in short order.
(6) OBSERVATION AND INTERACTION: **at this point I'd be CC 100% of time. I would not be openly brandishing defensive hardware at this point. I would be in touch with neighbors just to see what they have seen/heard and what they are thinking. Those of us who live in gated communities or communities where there is an active "homeowners" association it would not hurt to know who your officers are and see what they are saying. **Note of caution: many of the officers/presidents of these associations generally like to be "in charge" and have a tendency to "know what's best" for the neighborhood. More of these associations than not will be controlled by people with a "liberal" or "less conservative" viewpoint. I would exercise discretion telling anyone in these positions about any personal preps.
I suspect after a week, two at the most, of being without power and more or less on our own we will start to see things deteriorate at a more rapid pace. Initially, I think it would be people/looters/freebooters from outside the neighborhood that would be the first threat. I'd be looking for 'out of place'
vehicles, people, etc. Then there would be people in the neighborhood who failed to do any prep that would quickly become desperate.
(7) SECURITY: Everyone should have a 24/7 plan for security by this point. Someone in your family/group needs to be awake and functional at all times. **It may not be a bad idea to have some type of black out curtains/covers or similar to keep the world outside from prying. When it's dark it's easy to see who has a good stock of candles/light sources. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if they had enought foresight to prepare ahead with candles/light sources they may have other goods/food as well. I'd just as soon people think we have little to nothing.
8) SECURITY: If someone is working outside, be it cooking on a grill or open fire or whatever, there should be someone watching thier back all the time. Eyes "on" the whole time. Everyone needs to be on thier toes and watching/looking for things/people that are "out of place" or "wrong".

**PEOPLE WHO ARE BUGGING:
A lot of people have plans to relocate to a backup/prepared location. If you are meeting others, plans should already be in place for correct IDs if you show up at the bugout location at 3.00am. It would be a tragedy to get shot trying to enter your group retreat.
Also, if you are "bugging" keep in mind you are leaving your house/apartment/trailer etc to whoever wants it. You should have sensitive information (deeds, titles, legal papers, etc) in a fire proof box that you can either secure or take with you.

GENERAL HYGIENE: Do you have enough toilet paper? What is your plan when it runs out?
How much hand sanitizer do you keep on hand? when the toilets stop flushing, what is your disposal plan?
How much soap/bleach/alcohol do you have on hand?

Questions:

If you do "bug out" do you let your neighbors know this when you are leaving? They may want to know that any activity at your home are people who are unauthorized to be there.
Do you "donate" any goods/foods/weapons/ammo that you CANNOT take with you to a neighbor(s)?

Would it be beneficial to lay in an extra 25lb bag of rice to possibly 'donate' to the neighborhood or association to help feed the unprepared?

Is there a point where openly displaying your firearms is beneficial? (at what point do you go from looking like a "nut" to looking like a well armed
serious citizen ready to defend life and property?) How do you decide "when it's time" to do so?

Should we be prepared to put physical barriers around the perimeter of our property/yard at least to slow down/trip alarms if interlopers arrive?

Enough from me for now. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
good post I found myself reviewing my own plans while reading it. I did not think about baked goods, that is great info. I enjoy a scenario that i can learn from.

Just a lil advise in reference to the water.At one point i was gung ho for stocking 5 gal jugs that are compatible with my crystal springs cooler and then i had to think long term and dude thats a lot of 5 gal jugs to store and a lot of space and not to mention treatment and rotation....so scratch that...Better idea was Doulton ceramic candle filters(capable of filtering 550 Gallons (seen here but shop around for best deal) http://doultonusa.com/HTML pages/ceramic_candles_gravity.htm. in conjuction with a couple 50 gal plastic food grade barrels and you can catch rain water like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv4YVgZ-bZ0 and then filter it like this through the doulton candle filters in a homemade cooler/filter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrvmO-ScgQI.
All very low cost and virtually effortless. Just though i would share this option.Hope its a benefit to all:D!!

as always spot on bill.

may all want to think about commo too. cb and frs alone aint gonna cut it. get your ham ticket and make your contacts now before shtf. know your routes, cache if you need to.

Very good post. I would always like to be more prepared, I've got a good amount of my stuff in place, but I try to add a little here and there when I can.

GREAT POST !

I believe that water is the most basic thing we need to store in large quantity ........ and if you dont have a well to pull water from then even more so !!

I an others near me have wells and generators to run the pumps to fill large potable water tanks as well as barrels an other water storage containers we could use to flush with ......

We can use the generators to help our frozen items last a little longer as well ....

Of course we have to have fuel stored for the generator but thats all part of that plan as well ...

just a thought ;]

We should all consider the possibility that in a real SHTF situation, sooner or later one the people "in charge" will likely float the idea of confiscating food/water/meds from those that have to distribute to the "community" on an as-need basis.

Maybe? Maybe not? Just another reason to only share our prep info with like minded people.

Good post, however you did forget to mention production. To really sustain you must produce. That is the key to longevity is the the ability to make what you need. Storage should only be a short term fix while getting set for long term survival. Prepare to return to village life. Also, dont forget to be a good neighbor. Give people a chance to rise up and help out. You will never survive alone in SHTF for any length of time....Apropo, why would you want to?? People will still suprise you in a bad situation. Throughout history people made it by working together to overcome hardship. Never throw out the idea of community. I almost forgot medication. Especially for cardiac, diabetes, and asthma patients.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom