Post your shameful deer mishaps here.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Ok.
I know hunting is an evolving lifestyle as most of us don't consider hunting a sport .....well meat hunters at least don't.
Shooting a deer just for the antlers may be sport in my opinion but I won't knock them as long as they're giving the meat away to be eaten by some poor chap.

That being said sometimes we have to learn things the hard way as hunters as in learn by our mistakes and shortcomings then try to never make the same mistakes twice.

Nobody is perfect and the proverbial crap happens to the best of us so let's kill some time by confessing some of our most embarrassing moments that have taught us lessons the hard way.

As for me the one I remember the best is the time I decided not to sight in my model 94 ae 30-30 before the season started because it was dead nuts the year before, I did not drop it and its been tucked inside a nice serene safe for months.
What could go wrong?
Well.....Ill tell you.
I was ground hunting in the Blue Ridge WMA......snow covered ground, quiet with periods of moderate to heavy winds.
I just walked to my spot and this area has been known to me and my hunting buddy to have does follow you up the hill very closely thinking you are another deer so I was constantly listening for footsteps behind me.
As soon as I got to my spot a doe followed me in.

She stood looking at me broadside while I fired three shots at her...and missed each time...then she causally walked away leaving me perplexed.

Later I shot at a tree stump and was 12 inches off my mark...wow.

Lesson learned.

I thought your avatar looked like FS road 42. I missed under a nice buck that walked by my stand because I failed to check my pins at the beginning of the season. I'm sure everyone has walked in on bedded deer after setting up the day before. They are curious creatures.

I was hunting green fields that had some pretty long shots. After a full day of hunting I went to eject the cartridge I had chambered and wound up with a handloaded bullet I had seated long stuck in the lands of my 30-06. I only had a bore snake to clean my rifle with and no way to dislodge the stuck bullet.
The next day I hunted with my .300RUM as a backup rifle. I had never used it on game before. I wound up shooting a buck and a doe at 250 yards using factory loaded Remington 180gr sirocco bondeds. It blew an exit hole the size of a bowling ball through the doe and there was no exit on the buck. He had been facing me and I shot him in the chest. when I dressed em I found the .300RUM had turned em both into inedible purple mush under the hide. From 2 whole deer all I got were 3 hams and a small piece of backstrap that were fit to eat, everything else was blood shocked and liquified. Ever seen too much gun or too dead? the .300RUM is it.

This is really not a deer mishap by way of gun, but definitely a rare moment in my life.

It's almost dark in a creek bottom. I'm climbing down my homemade 20ft platform stand that is nailed to huge oak tree, when I hear a God awful noise that I have never heard before that made the hair on my neck stand up. I freeze on the ladder steps. I have no clue what the hell it was. Cougar, Mountain Lion, Black Panther, rabid Bobcat or ??? I have my unloaded rifle slung over my shoulder with the sling draped around my neck to prevent me from accidently dropping it during my decent. With one hand holding onto the ladder, I finally found my small flashlight that I had tucked in my jacket pocket. I aimed it where I thought the noise was coming from and there it was, only about 20 yards away, one of the biggest does that I have ever seen in my life with her fawn, agressively stomping, pawing and making what my daddy later told me was a "squalling" sound (as he was laughing) at me.
I was scared out of my wits. I wasn't about to get eye level with this beast. With no possible way of defending myself I was frozen in time and helpless. Finally after about 5 minutes of me yelling to the top of my lungs at her to just go away and her stomping and squalling at me while she was defending her fawn, she gave in and ran off, followed by her fawn. I followed her with my flashlight until she went out of sight and then I even gave her a extra few minutes lead time to make sure the coast was completely clear before I set foot on the ground. I'm a big ole boy and for me to hang on with one hand for a spell can wear me out fairly quick, but needless to say that was the fastest that I ever made it back to my truck which was about 100 yards away.

Lesson learned: From that day on I always carry a sidearm.

In a un-named City in Mississippi two Police Officers came across a Deer that had been struck by a car. (NO I was not one of them) Being good public servants they choose to remove the carcass from the street and placed it in the back seat of the patrol vehicle. (not a caged backseat) Shortly after doing so (and while enroute to a butcher in this case Kroger) said deer regained its senses. This resulted in serious damage too the rear seat and 2 broken rear windows. Said officers discharged their weapons 8 times in an effort to put said deer out of its misery. Said deer is as far as I know still wandering freely some where in Mississippi and the 2 dumbass officers (yes I knew them and they were dumbasses) are now retired.

When I was a younger hunter, way back in the early 60's, a friend was hunting near me during deer season. He shot a nice buck one afternoon. We were hunting in a state that required you to tag your deer immediately. He walked up to his deer and cut a slit in the ear and tied his tag on. He then went to flip the deer on it's back to begin field dressing it, at that moment the deer began kicking and struggling to get back on it's feet. He had leaned his gun against a tree about 20 ft away. The deer jumped to it's feet and ran off while he tried to grab his gun. The deer was very much alive and now had his deer tag tied in it's ear. We hunted that deer for 3 days and finally on the 4th day I shot the deer with his tag still tied in it's ear. We looked the deer over closely to see where he had hit it days before and only found a mark on the head near the base of one antler. Apparently he only knocked the deer out with his shot as there were no other wounds except the shot I put in it. i let him keep it since he already had a tag on it.....lol

I can neither confirm nor deny that there is an incriminating video of a certain mod and another member, both who's guns were not sighted in, possibly missing 7 - 10 deer that were running at them. :redface:

so far I am one for one... I really dont want to participate in this thread, but I am sure it is merely a matter of time.

Back
Top Bottom