Powder Experts Needed

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I've got a co-worker thats done some reloading for me in the past. I've been trying to keep an eye out for Blue Dot or Accurate #5 for him. Both of which are impossible to find, at least for me. I've been looking at some equivalents online but I know nothing about reloading. Right now he's reloading .40 and .38 sp. Does anyone have any recommendations on a close equivalent to either of those powders? He casts 180g bullets for the 40. Thanks for any help!

Myself, like you have been looking for some Bluedot for almost 2 years. (I love it for my 10mm loads)I havent seen ANY. Came across 5 lbs at a gunshow few months ago and scooped it up right away. Lol.

As far as burn rate equiv. check out VV N350 Acurrate No 7 or Hodgdon Longshot. If memory serves me correctly they ade pretty close to the burn speeds of Blue Dot.

Last edited:
Lot of good options. Have you researched in any manuals?

I wouldn't know what I'm looking at man. I'm just the shooter lol. I have a basic understanding but I don't know enough to make a call on it.

Midway is also out of stock on the titegroup and IMR... Maybe this will push me to visit Gander mtn?? I really don't want to give them the time of day.

My buddy has loaded me a bunch of ammo in the past and I've always told him I'd keep an eye out for some powder as payment for the ammo. I've bought him primers as payment but have yet to come across his flavor of powder.

I wouldn't know what I'm looking at man. I'm just the shooter lol. I have a basic understanding but I don't know enough to make a call on it.

Midway is also out of stock on the titegroup and IMR... Maybe this will push me to visit Gander mtn?? I really don't want to give them the time of day.

You are unlikely to find anything at Gander Mountain. Much better chance of finding something at a gun show.

Bullseye, CFE, Blue Dot, Power Pistol, Titegroup, Accurate 7, Accurate 5, HS-6, HP-38, etc. etc. etc. will all be viable options. However, each gun, loader, and even barrel will have soemethat work better than others.

Back
Top Bottom