• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Powder recommendations please!

jaybees

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
13   1
Reaction score
Headed to the range for some late afternoon load development. Got my portable reloading setup and will be working with 125gr lead round nose in 9mm as well as 38 special. For the 45acp, I'm using a 200gr lead round nose flat point. These are the powders I will be trying....
i58.tinypic.com_347zgc8.jpg

Not looking for specific load data (unless you want to offer it up), as I have already found data for most everything. Just curious as to opinions concerning which powder will work best for each application. Thanks in advance.

universal covers a lot of pistol calibers and projectile weights at lower charges it may not burn all that well, bullseye is kinda fast but has metered well for me , 231 is good, HS6 have only used for 9mm so cant comment on the rest.

universal covers a lot of pistol calibers

It is my favorite out of the bunch. Not much left of it. Less than 1/2 lb. Someone posted a picture of camp perry with all the powder for sale the other day. There was a flier hanging off one of the boxes that said universal would not be back in production till as late as 2015.
i59.tinypic.com_fktmyb.jpg

The Bullseye is going to be smoky with lead. Universal is decent with lead in the smoke department, but works really well overall for both 9mm and 45 ACP. It's one of my favorite powders for non magnum pistol calibers.

I would use the Bullseye and 231 in the 38 and 45, and the unique and universal in the 9-- for the bullets you listed. The LongShot, HS-6, and AA7 are best suited for hot 9, 40, 10mm, 357, type loads with jacketed bullets.

Accurate #7 will work well for the 45 acp loading and the 9 MM loading, don't think it will be a good choice for a 38 Special. the accurate #2 and Accurate #5 I think would work in the 38 Special.
I use accurate #5 for 38 Super, 10 MM and 45 acp with very good results, but I don't shoot lead in anything, I use plated or JHP.
A lot would depend on the hardness / diamter of the lead and how fast you can push it before it becomes a problem.
I use Unique in 38 spl, 380 myself.

Back
Top Bottom