• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powders for short barrel .308?

Yeah there is no problem doing that. But if it were me, I'd simply fund the best load possible at mag length since you are going to be shooting from a mag more often than not.

Well, I don't get out of the city much so most of my range time is indoors. For that, the 147gr FMJ and some RL-15 is more than enough and cheap too. Now that the weather is cooling off, I want to get out to the range and do some long(er) range shooting, which for me, will likely be one of the WMA ranges. For going up to the indoor and making bang, mag length is plenty, as it is for hunting and almost any circumstance really. However, it may be fun to sit down and see just how good she'll shoot every once in a while, which is when I may toss the mag, turn off the gas, slip on a fixed power 10x and dial it in...

I am interested in working up some of the faster burning powders and lighter bullets though. The 110-135gr look interesting...

We have loaded 110s and 125s for my son's SPS Tactical (20" 1-12twist) The 110s loaded up as a varmint round shoot good at about MOA on average now that we have shot enough of them AND the 125s were set up as youth loads, they shot excellent as in touching.

Neither of them seem to have recoil greater than a .243 and that makes for some good concentration and fun.

Well, not specifically for a short barrel, these were my first shots out of the 716 with my hand loads at 100yds. Everything else has been at the indoor 25yd. I used some PMC 147g FMJ to get the EOTech sighted in and could only manage about a 2-3" group. Switched over to my 168g Amax over some AA 2495 and wow, what a difference...

image.jpg

The largest spread in the group is just under 1-1/4", that doesn't seem to bad considering I still haven't gotten around to buying a chronograph and I developed a load based on the groups at 25yds indoors with the iron sights. All in all, I am really happy with the results.

Back
Top Bottom